Friday 10 April 2015

A SUPERB LEGO BRICKS BLANKET


free crochet lego brick blanket pattern
LEGO  BRICKS BLANKET

Blankets are a fun projects at any time.. and especially so after you’ve been breaking your head over thin yarns and convoluted patterns.  Lego is by far the most beautiful of toys – versatile, colorful and fun.. and to have a lego blanket.. kid-dream come true I’d say.

Thank you for joining me.
In case you have just joined me, know that you can access all of my earlier creations by checking under ‘categories’ on the right hand side of this blog under “Labels”.  Then, for your convenience, follow me here or on Facebook, You Tube, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram. Check out all my social media handles at the bottom of this blog
Oh, and may I add that the fastest way to find any of my blogs is via Pinterest.

Do remember to add my blog URL when you make and show off your creation. 
Cheers.  Enjoy 

I was thinking of creating a pattern for a Lego brick myself and suddenly chanced on this exquisite free pattern.  This fantastic pattern has a video link – and what I love most about this video link is that the super designer does not waste any time in talking about anything.. just goes straight into the project – my kind of video ! 
I have, however, tweaked it just a bit.. so I’ll just add my notes here and give you, yet again, choices n decisions  

This is the photo that inspired me

Materials used : Today I’ve used about 550 gms of our lovely Indian Vardhaman millennium DK ply acrylic yarn , ~   with a 4 mm crochet hook
General info : This blanket can be made using any yarn and suitable hook.  If you use a larger hook + thicker yarn, you just end up with larger rectangles :)

Size : 52” x 30”

I made my blanket with 81 rectangles (so 9 rectangles x 9 rectangles).  I did a quick check of a few color combinations and then decided how many rectangles of each colour I’d need (see charts below).  I’d already decided on which my colors and have chosen Red, Blue, Green, Yellow and Grey.  I will join with white and do a similar white border all around.  


 and just so I have my color palate in front of me, I made this little chart on Microsoft Excel and then decided which one looked better.. difficult decision, huh? 

Stitches used :

Starting slip knot : Here’s how you start with a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/lJcqsVcs8cw

Starting slip knot 1 or the Sloppy Slip knot : This is a neat new way to start your work without a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/YfC7KmGpifs

What is a chain stitch ? Here is an easy video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXx5ukBjKkY

Double Crochet : dc : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (3 lps on hk);
[yo, draw through 2 lps] twice.  One dc made. 
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/xdnjB27zpYo

Chainless start for Double Crochet : I dislike the ch-2 / ch – 3 start, and this is what I do to start my row of dc.
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/wskv3iTjRx0

Foundation double crochet (fdc) : This is a unique way of starting a project directly with a row of double crochet stitches.  Here is an easy video tutorial https://youtu.be/hjNUYVvyU9k

Triple Crochet : trc : wrap yarn twice around hook, insert hk into st ; yo (4 lps on hk); [yo, draw through 2 lps] three times.  One trc made. 
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/A0y4BbgDTbs

Chainless start for Triple / Treble Crochet : I dislike the ch-2 / ch – 3 start, and this is what I do to start my row of trc.
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/f42MO0cGYC0  

“Pop”  stitch :  The designer has used the following stitch and called it a “Pop” stitch.  
It is 5 trc, all in the same st… so just writing it again here for convenience.


Abbreviations used : Using U.S terminology
lp(s) : Loop(s)                    sc : Single crochet
dc : Double crochet           sp : Space                                           
sl-st : Slip stitch                 fdc : Foundation Double Crochet
st(s) : Stitch(es)                 hk : Hook
yo : Yarn Over                   ch : Chain

Instructions : 
Here is the pattern I've been inspired by.  Please visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9b5i81Ao1U for the pattern.  

The designer has a superb video that is totally self explanatory.  

My notes here are only for the small start change, the use of the wonderful chain-less dc start, and a finishing idea / difference.

Please note that I start all my rows with a ch 1, turning chain for ease.
Please check the top of this blog for easy video tutorials on all stitches used in today's pattern.
Please read through all my notes before you pick up your hook, so you know just where we're heading in our pattern.

Start with 14 fdc.  Turn.

The designer has started with a 17 ch and then dc in the 4th ch on to get a row of 14 dc.  Ever since I discovered the fdc, I find that the start this gives is easy, even and neat – and I just cannot use any other start – however, this is just a choice.

Row 1 : sc in the 1st 2 dc , 5-trc tog (or “pop / popcorn” stitch) in the next sc ; 
*sc in the next 2 sc ; “pop/popcorn” st in the next sc* ; 
rep *to* till last 2 sc ; sc in the last 2 sc.  Turn

Row 2 : dc in the 1st sc ; dc in each st till end.  Turn.

Rep Rows 1 and 2 once more.

Finishing : sc in each st till end ; 1 more sc in the corner sc ;

Turn  your work at 90° ,  work an sc in each horizontal bar of dc all the way down ; 
1 more sc in the corner st ;

Turn your work at 90° and work on the bottom of your start fdcs, do an sc in each st across ; 
1 more sc in the corner st ;

Turn your work at 90° and work an sc in each horizontal bar of dc all the way back up ; 
1 more sc in the corner st (back where we started out).  
Join with a sl-st to the first st.  
Fasten off and weave in ends.

One lego block made. Size : 5.5” x 3”

Once you’ve made all the lego bricks / blocks you need, you will see the beautiful join that the designer has made – the white chains showing up on top add a lovely edging that make this more like a lego pattern.  Kudos to this beautiful design and more so that this wonderful person has shared this all for free !!

Now I thought I would add a row of dc’s around the full blanket to give it that little bit of an extra width – which meant that instead of the cute little chain joint that the designer has shown, I had to make a slight variation in my join between Lego rectangles blocks.  So this is what I’ve done.  Lets imagine two rectangles A & B.  
So I’ve attached my white yarn at the corner of Rectangle A, and sc in that same st , 
ch 1, sc in the corner st of Rectangle B ; 
*ch 1, sc in the next st of Rectangle A ; ch 1, sc in the next st of Rectangle B* ; 
rep *to* till you are at the last corner of your rectangle.  Fasten off and weave in end.

Rep this for all rectangles till you have them joined in the pattern you wish.  Then I ran one round of dc’s all around the blanket, with 3 dc in each edge (or you could do a 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc corner) ; and then joining with sl-st at the 1st st.  Fasten off and weave in ends.  Block as per yarn specifications.

I am also considering doing a rep of Rows 1 and 2 all around the edge, giving it this white lego bricked edging .. but that depends on  how much (white) yarn I have left. 

You now have a choice for starting, joining and finishing your blanket.. and you will have one really cute project at the end of it all 

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. Come back right here for more freebie patterns

Remember to share this blog post when you share your photos with me on Facebook.  I’d love to feature your photos on my FB page.  Cheers.

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/


Join me on YouTube at http://youtube.com/shyamanivas

And on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/ for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Find me on Ravelry at ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas/


Have a great day and see you soon. 

Here are some of my other creations.  Have fun with these patterns too









http://shyamanivas.blogspot.in/2015/03/21-flower-granny-squares.html


















and if here are some tops.. that a bolero would look swell over..