Tuesday, 25 July 2017

BLUE CAMELLIA TOP

free crochet top pattern

BLUE CAMELLIA TOP


This Camellia top has been inspired by the camellia flower.  So we start our pattern with the beautiful yoke, which looks like this lovely layered flower.   Isn't it gorgeous?


This is not my pattern.  These are just my notes as I work on this project with a different yarn and hook (other than that instructed by the designers notes)

Do check my long Pinterest link for all the free patterns I’ve written up over the years right at the bottom of this blog.

Materials usedToday I’ve used ~ 250 gms of Baroque knitting cotton with a 2.5 mm crochet hook

For Indians : Our lovely Indian Anchor knitting cotton and White rose knitting cotton yarns are a good substitute.  I’d also suggest Alize cotton yarn – and you can get all of this with an easy mouse click on the top right hand side of this blog (read : Click here to buy yarns Online).  I bought this yarn during my visit to Goa-Mapusa at Kalgutkar store. 

For Non-Indians : The other international yarns I’ve used of this thickness are Milford Satin knitting cotton & Aunt Lydia  Bamboo – Viscose 10 knitting cottons.  Technically the yarn I’ve used would use a 1.75 – 2 mm crochet hook but I like the extra stretch that a larger hook gives a yarn.

Difficulty level : Advanced Skill level. 

Stitches used :
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual dc row start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row. Do take a look at this self explanatory video at http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/ In case you are unhappy with this start, do continue with the usual ch 2 or ch 3 start.  However, all instructions are given assuming that you’re using this chainless dc start. 



How to join with single crochet : Check the links below :

How to join with whip stich : Check the links below :


Abbreviations used :  Using U.S Terminology

fdc : Foundation double crochet                             ch : Chain
dc : Double crochet                                                 sp(s) : Space(s)
st(s) : Stitch(es)                                                          hk : Hook
lp : Loop(s)                                                                  yo : Yarn Over
sk : Skip                                                                        sc : Single crochet
trc : Treble / Triple crochet 



Instructions : (Using U.S Terminology)

Free crochet top pattern


Get the original pattern at http://interunet.com/pink-camellia-blouse-crochet-pattern.  There is a convenient video link given for this pattern as well... and here's the designer's photograph that got me started on this journey.


The project is worked from the top down – i.e from the shoulders and work down to the level you want your top to be (waist length or higher I mean)

This pattern starts with the round neck and is worked down.  Working in rounds from the neck down is a little tricky. 

The designer has given a stitch count of multiples of 14 and the pattern starts with 141 stitches. 
So how does one make this for different sizes.  Usually what I do is work with the same number of stitches as given by the designer and see how that works out for me.  Yes, that does involve a possibility of frogging – but that is a risk I am willing to take. 

If the stitch counts works for you.. YAAY.. else what I’d do is work with a smaller hook and thinner yarn for a more slender figure and a slightly larger hook and slightly larger yarn for a slightly larger figure.

The other thing that you could do is work in more stitches using the stitch count multiples given.

I started with fsc, so I started with multiples of 14 (i.e 140, not 141).

I am using a super fine yarn and I *thought* that 140 would not work for me, so I  added 28 stitches.  After the first few rows, I double checked, and found it too loose, so went back to 140 and it worked!

Just for a small difference, I used a second color and added a few bands of contrast.  For this, I just changed colours and worked a row in the contrast, and then a few rows in the Main colour, skipping between the two to create the pattern.

The use of 2 trc in each stitch is one I have not done before.  I like that it gives a denser look.  I do think, however, that if using a thicker yarn, there will be a lacier look – so if you want a denser look, I’d say use the same pattern but dc instead of trc.  That said, a trc will make your pattern move a lot faster J

So armed with all this extra information, go ahead and create something beautiful.

free crochet top pattern


Do come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/ 



And please join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Have a great day and see you soon. J

Here are some of my earlier creations.  Have fun with these free patterns too