Google+ Followers

Friday, 20 January 2017

SOME MORE FUN CURLY WURLIES SCRUNCHIES FOR HAIR

curly wurly scrunchies for hair

SOME MORE FUN CURLY WURLIES SCRUNCHIES FOR HAIR
( #Blogaday 20/365 )

This is my second blog on fun scrunchies for young girls.  After I posted my first blog, I was inundated by “more patterns please” requests, and as I have a family expected shortly, and little girls visiting in that group, I thought this was the ideal time to get 2 birds with one stone – Get the request done and get my gifts ready too.

Thank you for joining me in our fun creativity session today.

Materials used : Today I’ve used some of our lovely Indian Oswal Cashmilon 4-ply yarns with a 4 mm crochet hook ; rubber / elastic bands, embroidery needle

Skill level : Easy to intermediate.  Basic sewing skills needed.

Abbreviations used :
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                 dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                                   ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                   rep : Repeat


Stitches used :
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

Hdc : Half Double Crochet : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (3 lps on hk), yo, draw through all 3 lps.  One hdc made.

Foundation half double crochet : A really lovely way to start a foundation row of chainless double crochet.  This unique way of starting makes your project even https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90iUfQ-_1IM

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row.  Do take a look at this self-explanatory super video http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using the chainless dc start.

Here is a sizing chart for general head sizing :
 
How to join the two ends of your work : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUGb9pIcsXE



Instructions using U.S terminology
Curly wurly 1 

curly wurly scrunchies for hair

curly wurly scrunchies for hair


For our first pattern, I have followed a photo tutorial I found on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Entre-ovillos-y-agujas-714688061996663/



There are no written instructions, so my notes here are for what I have done.

Materials used : Oswal Cashmilon 4-ply yarn, with a 4 mm crochet hook ; one rubber band.

Skill level : Easy

Decide on the colour and then attach that yarn to the rubber band with a slip knot.  Tie a secure knot and we’re ready to start.

Start Round 1 :  sc in the rubber band ; 
(ch 2, sc in the same rubber band) ; 
rep (to) all around till you have covered the rubber band completely.  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st sc.

Note :  When the rubber band is worn, it will stretch, and you need to not only account for that stretch, but also account for the fact that if you use too few stitches, you will see the rubber band.  That said, also remember that you stitch tension should not be too tight, as you will hamper the stretch of the rubber band.. so work loose.

Round 2 :  sl-st into the 1st ch-2 sp ; sc in the same ch-2 sp ; 
(ch 3, sc in the next ch-2 sp) ; 
rep (to) all around and join with a sl-st to the 1st sc.


Round 3 :  sl-st into the 1st ch-3 sp ; 
(ch 2, 5 dc) all in the same ch-3 sp ; 
*sc in the next ch-3 sp ; ch 2, rep (to) all in the next ch-2 sp* ; 
rep *to* all around and join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Tweak :  With this same pattern, here’s an idea to give you a fuller scrunchie.  If you so decide, Rounds 1 and 2 are the same.  
There’s a change just in the last round, which I’m going to call Round 3A.  
So in the original one, you’re working the sc in the next ch-3 sp, but in the instructions below, you’ll work it in the same ch-3 sp.  
This means that you will have many more stitches per ch-3 sp, and that will automatically add to the fullness.

Round 3 A :  sl-st into the 1st ch-3 sp ; 
(ch 2, 5 dc ; sc) all in the same ch-3 sp ; 
*sc in the next ch-3 sp ; ch 2, rep (to) all in the next ch-2 sp* ; 
rep *to* all around and join with a sl-st to the 1st st.
Fasten off and weave in ends.


Curly wurly 2

curly wurly scrunchies for hair

curly wurly scrunchies for hair


For the next pattern, I used this free scrunchie pattern by Connie Haley from Ravelry at http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-ponytail-holder



Materials used : Vardhaman Millenium variegated yarn, with a 4 mm crochet hook ; one rubber band.

Skill level : Easy


This is the cutest fastest pattern EVER.  The trick to get this nice, full and fluffy is to have as many sc as you possibly can on that 1st round that wraps the rubber band up. 

Curly wurly 3 

 curly wurly scrunchies for hair

curly wurly scrunchies for hair


For my third creation, I used this free pattern for a scrunchie from http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/frilly-scrunchy



Materials used : Oswal Cashmilon 3-ply (lace weight) yarn, with a 3 mm crochet hook ; one rubber band.

Skill level : Easy

I chose this pattern as I had this lovely pink yarn in lace weight and this just suits the pattern so well.  The designer has chosen a thinner hook, but I’m working with a 3 mm crochet hook.


Curly wurly 4 

curly wurly scrunchies for hair

curly wurly scrunchies for hairSweet Nothings Crochet curly wurly scrunchies for hair


For my fourth creation, I used this free pattern for a scrunchie from https://thegreendragonfly.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/frilly-flowery-hair-ties/




Just look at this lovely rose.. how can you resist this?

When I gave it to my niece, my cousin commented that it looked like it was a real variegated rose on the hair and how smart was this! I totally agree and kudos to the lovely designer for this super free pattern. J

Materials used : Oswal Cashmilon 4-ply yarn, with a 3.5 mm crochet hook ; one rubber band.

Skill level : Easy

Sweet Nothings Crochet curly wurly scrunchies for hair

For my first rose pattern, I used the white yarn with the orange accent and have followed the pattern written by designer.

For the second rose, I used the white yarn with the red accent and have made a small change for each petal – I’m not sure if the photos show the difference, but I thought there was a difference.

Sweet Nothings Crochet curly wurly scrunchies for hair


So I followed the design for Rows 1 and 2, and here are my small tweaks for Row 3.

Row 3 : (Petal Row) : sl-st into the 1st ch-2 sp , 
[ch 2, 4 dc ; ch 2, sc] all in the same ch-2 sp ; 
*sl-st into the next ch-2 sp ; rep [to] once in the same ch-2 sp* ; 
rep *to* all the way to the last ch-2 sp.  Turn.

Attach contrast colour ; fasten off Main colour.
Row 4 : (Using Contrast colour) : sc in the 1st sc ; 
*[sc in the next 4 dc, sc in the next 2 sc]* ; 
rep*to* all the way to the end, ending with just 1 sc with the contrast at the end, and then working one sl-st onto your rubber band to fasten the contrast yarn.  
Fasten off and neatly tie up ends.

The main difference between this pattern and the one earlier, is that each petal seems a little better defined, and so I thought that it curled better into a rose.  That said, just a small tweak gives you a slightly different looking rose, so go ahead and create.  



Curly wurly 5

Sweet Nothings Crochet curly wurly scrunchies for hair

Sweet Nothings Crochet curly wurly scrunchies for hair


 For my fifth and final creation, check out the free patterns for a scrunchie from https://shyamanivas.blogspot.in/2017/01/fun-curly-wurlies-scrunchies-for-hair.html

Materials used : Vardhaman Millenium acrylic yarn, with a 4 mm crochet hook ; one rubber band.

Skill level : Easy

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/  OR just my free patterns at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/free-patterns-made-by-me/


And please join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Have a great day and see you soon. J

I have a few pieces of headwear already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go  J