Sunday, 7 August 2016

MY RIO OLYMPICS BEANIE

MY RIO OLYMPICS BEANIE

A very very special person asked me for a beanie, and as its coming around at the time of the Rio Olympics, we thought we’d make one for this occasion.  This is a really simple beanie that looks so darn awesome as it has the wonderfully rich colours of the Rio Olympics & the Brazilian flag.

It’s also so much fun designing this for the Ravellenics games … you have heard of the wonderful craft group Ravelry, haven’t you. So in keeping with the Olympic games, Ravelry has it’s own version of the games called Ravellenics 2016 J

Materials used : Today I’ve used our lovely Indian Vardhaman Milennium  acrylic yarn,  with a 4 mm crochet hook

Skill level : Easy to Intermediate.   This pattern involves color changes as well as post stitches.

Stitches used :
Magic circle : To refresh your skill, please view this easy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3,I’d like to introduce a lovely way of starting a double crochet row.  Do take a look at this self explanatory super video
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using this chainless dc start.


Standard chart for head size :  https://in.pinterest.com/pin/470063279839058772/


Abbreviations used :
lp(s) : Loop(s)                                                  sc : Single crochet
dc : Double crochet                                     ch : Chain
sp : Space                                                          sl-st : Slip stitch
hk : Hook                                                          yo : Yarn Over 
st(s) : Stitch(es)     
                                                 


I started to write out a really simple pattern, mainly to highlight the beautiful colours of Rio, and then just as I was to about to pick up my hook, I chanced on this photograph.  Remember what I’ve said about Providence, Chance, and all that blah.. This beanie had all the colour changes I am looking for (well, it has three colors) and it has this lovely post stitch confusion going on (I do so love the effect of post stitches).  I have also tested for Nancy Smith before and I know that her patterns are well written, so at this late hour (just a few hours before the Ravellenic Games are to start), I don’t need to try and figure out a pattern. 

 This photo looks so funny.. like the "Cat-in-the-hat" !! 

 I tried to embroider the logo aping the graphics as well as I could.. and methinks I did a pretty good job 

The alternating changes of colours for this section along with the fpdc post stitches give such a wonderful look, doesn't it?  

Post stitches all the way through the beanie not only give it a fantsatic feature, but also make it nice, chunky & warm. Love it.

Oh and if you want to see how they got to this logo and the color schemes etc for Rio 2016, https://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2011/january/rio-2016-olympics-logo-a-closer-look/

Ok.. enough talk.  For this pattern visit https://in.pinterest.com/pin/470063279839676722/

I am going to work extra hard during the coming fortnight and whip up a whole load of projects as I *compete* in the Ravelry Olympics – pushing myself just a little further than I did during the last Ravellenics 2014 J

Do come along and join the fun .. create, inspire or cheer the participants along.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  


Have a great day and see you soon. J
I have added links here of some of the projects I’ve made for headwear.  Do have a look and enjoy creating.