Monday, 24 October 2016

ROTARY CHARITY CAPS IV

crochet beanie, cute animal crochet beanies

ROTARY CHARITY CAPS IV


I am making these for a Charity Drive with Rotary India (Chembur) in conjunction with the Burns Clinic at Airoli, Navi Mumbai.

These are not my patterns.  All are free patterns that I’ve made and these are notes for Indians using locally available Indian yarns.  Some of our yarns do not give the gauge required, so I have made notes as I make my projects.

Materials used : Today I’ve used our lovely Indian OswalCashmilon4-ply yarns with a 4 mm crochet hook 

Abbreviations used :
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                 dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                                     ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                     rep : Repeat
hdc : Half Double crochet                                 sc-blo : Single Crochet Back Loop Only
MC : Main Colour                                                  CC : Contrast Colour


Stitches used :
Magic circle :To refresh your skill, please view this easy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row.  Do take a look at this self-explanatory super video http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using the chainless dc start.

dc 2-tog : Double crochet 2-tog : [yo, insert hk in st or ch-sp, yo and pull up a lp ; yo and draw through 2 lps] 2 times (3 lps on hk) ; yo, draw through all lps on hk.  One dc 2-tog made.

Here is a sizing chart for general head sizing : https://in.pinterest.com/pin/470063279837764548/

How to join the two ends of your work : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUGb9pIcsXE

I have used our Indian 4-ply acrylic for all the projects below, with either a 4 mm or a 3.5 mm crochet hook.

Cap #  1 – Cow hat

cute crochet animal beanie

This cute free pattern is from the wonderful Sarah of http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2013/10/crochet­cow­hat­pattern.html, who has the most exquisite collection of free crochet patterns!
I was inspired by this photograph



I worked this pattern for the 9-12 month size , using Indian Oswal 4ply yarn and a 4 mm crochet hook

Size : 6.7” (from crown to brim) ; Circumference 16” ;

For the eyes I worked a magic circle and 6 hdc in it.  Pull it lightly closed and join with a sl-st to the 1st hdc.  As the designer had one button eye in white and black that look oh, so cute, I did one each too – and just to accentuate the centre of the eye, I put in a stitch with the opposite colour. (The designer has done that with the thread she’s used to hold the ‘eye’ button in place)

For the braids I cut about 6 strands each of black and white yarn ; divided them into two parts, and then twisted each part individually first.  I then twisted them together with one another to get this super twisty braid.  A knot at each end secures the twisty braid.  This, as you may recall, is how we used to make hair braids when we were younger :)




You could, of course, do like Sarah has, and work a regular plait in either one or multiple colour too.




Cap # 2  - Polar bear hat

cute crochet animal beanie

This free pattern was just too cute to miss.   Get it at http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2013/12/crochetpolarbearhatpattern.
html  and was inspired by this photograph





I worked this pattern for the Pre-schooler size, using Indian Oswal 4ply yarn and a 4 mm crochet hook

Size : 6.25” (from crown to brim) ; Circumference 16”



Cap #  3 – Penguin hat

cute crochet animal beanie


This free pattern was just too cute to miss at inspired by this photograph



For the nose, I used yellow our Indian Vardhaman Millennium, and I started with 8 fsc (as against 10 hdc) ; and I also could not work as many rows.  It was working out too large and wide… so using the same idea, I just trimmed it a little faster.
So started with 8 fsc, (ii) worked 8 sc in the next row ; (iii) decreased to 6 sc ; (iv) decreased to 4 sc ; (v) decreased to 2 sc and (vi) decreased to 1 sc.  I did not run a round of sc all around, though I wanted too.. because that too was making the nose too large.
Size : 6” (from crown to brim) ; Circumference 16”


  
Cap #  4 – Lamb Hat

cute crochet animal beanie

I worked on this free pattern, http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2013/04/crochet-lamb-hat-pattern.html ; and was inspired by this photograph



I made the toddler / pre-schooler size using a 3.5 mm crochet hook and 4 ply Indian Oswal acrylic yarn

The pattern says repeat till Row 13, but I found it too wide and not as long at that row, so I’ve worked two more rows and worked till Row 15, working the same pattern as per designer all the way till the 15th

For the ears : If you decide to start with fsc, then start with one stitch less for both the outer & inner ear.
So for this size, I started with 7 fsc for outer and 5 fsc for inner ear, and then worked pattern per designer.

For the eyes I worked a magic circle and 6 hdc in it.  Pull it lightly closed and join with a sl-st to the 1st hdc. 

For the nose , I used a little bit of the black yarn to embroider in the little lines to mark a nose.

Size : 6.5” (from crown to brim) ; Circumference 18”


Enjoyed this ?? I sure did..come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/  OR just my free patterns at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/free-patterns-made-by-me/


And please join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Have a great day and see you soon. 

I have a few pieces of headwear already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go  
































































 http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/crocheting/accessory/cupcake-beret/97291