Thursday, 27 October 2016

BANDS OF STEEL JAMAICAN AFGHAN

crochet blanket, crochet afghancrochet afghan, crochet blanket


BANDS OF STEEL JAMAICAN AFGHAN


This pattern has been chosen by my niece who has just moved into a new apartment.  Luckily I was able to get the color choices almost to the “T” .. why do they say to the “T”.. hmmm.. 
(If you're still curious, maybe this link may help figure it out?! ;) http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/to-a-t.html)

The pattern she chose is this Jamaican afghan and this is the beautiful photograph that got us all excited for this project


So while I have used this pattern, our Indian yarn thickness seems to be way thinner than the one on the pattern link.  So a few notes of the differences.

Materials used : Today I’ve used ~ 550- 600 gms of our lovely Indian Oswal Cashmilon 4-ply acrylic yarn,  with a 4 mm crochet hook ; embroidery needle

Size : My finished afghan is ~ 40” x 60”

Skill level : Easy - Intermediate.  

Stitches used :
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

How to carry your yarn along when using more than one colour :  http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-carry-yarn-in-crochet.html

How to single crochet join :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmYEsHlgQ30





Abbreviations used : (Using U.S terminology)
lp(s) : Loop(s)                                                 sc : Single crochet
st(s) : Stitch(es)                                               st(s) : Stitch(es)     
sp : Space                                                        sl-st : Slip stitch
hk : Hook                                                       yo : Yarn Over 
                                                 
  
This pattern is written using U.S terminology. 

So using the basic idea of this lovely afghan, I’ve made a few changes, mainly because of the yarn thickness I’m using

1.       I’ve started with 23 fsc (which equaled 6.5” as specified by the designer).    So while I could just follow the pattern stitch-wise, being lazy, and preferring less ends to weave in, I thought matching the size was a better bet.



2.     I thought I’d worked the pattern in the same way, alternating colours , but yet again, I could not make gauge with the sc, so I opted to work hdc rather than sc in each fsc all the way through.



3.     Yet again to make this a little easier for me, and also to try to achieve the gauge needed, I decided to work two rows back n forth in the same yarn.  So the fsc row and the next row were in the light yarn ; then I attached the new darker yarn and worked the next two rows in the darker colour.  So each switch was made at the same end, and I worked two rows in that colour.

crochet afghan, crochet blanket

4.     In the last repeat, I did one row of hdc and the last row in sc (to coordinate with the start of fsc)

5.     Finally I’ve decided to run one row of sc down the two sides as well.  So there are two sides that have ended with sc – the start row and the end row.  The other two sides do not have an end-stitch, so for convenience and ease of joining, I turned at 90˚ at the end of my last sc row and worked 23 sc down the side of my little square.  Fastened off at the end, and then re-joined yarn to work 23 sc down the other side of my square.  I now have a little square with 23 sc on all sides.  This helps as now we can put these squares anywhere we need and will have the same number of easy stitches to work through.


Part 3 : Finishing


Once you have all your squares complete, you can decide how you want to place them.  The pattern is the same in all our squares and the designer has made it look funky and different by placing one with stripes facing horizontally and the alternate one with the stripes going vertically.

The joining is easy, but here are a few ideas
1.       Place all the squares out and look at it from a distance to see if you like the color combination (if you have several colors) and the pattern it created.  I always find looking at it through a camera lens gives it a better perspective.
2.     There are several join methods for joining the granny squares. Check the links at the top of this blog and choose the one that suits you best
3.     You can sew the squares in a straight line or using the diagonal method – once again choosing the method that suits you best.
4.     I would suggest a small border all around.  We have a neat row of sc on all sides, so I’d suggest working at least one round of dc all around your blanket, working 3 dc in the corners.
5.     If you decide to work a wider border (or anything over one row), you must work 3 dc in each corner stitch. In each of the following rows, the corner stitch will be the middle stitch of your 3 dc from the earlier row.
6.     In my final border round, just to get a cleaner finish, I’ve worked 5 dc in the corner stitch will be the middle stitch of your 3 dc from the earlier row.
7.     The most important thing with motifs and squares is the joining and weaving in of ends.  Ensure that you weave in ends as soon as you’re done to prevent the (seemingly) unending weave-ins.  So after completing one square, I usually weave in the ends, and ensure that when I am joining the squares I neatly ‘hide’ the little end that is sticking out.


Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/  



And please join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Have a great day and see you soon. 

I have a few blankets already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go  








 https://shyamanivas.blogspot.in/2016/07/with-love-lovey.html