Tuesday, 10 March 2015

21 FLOWER GRANNY SQUARES



MORE FLOWERY SQUARES FOR PROJECT CHEMO

I’ve been slowly building up my granny square collection for donation to the lovely project for cancer patients http://www.projectchemocrochet.com/.

So I after my initial set of 24 squares (http://shyamanivas.blogspot.com/2015/01/jus-granny-squares.html), I thought I’d make different types of squares – and these are some of my flower granny squares.  I’ve added below the links / patterns I’ve used.

Some of the patterns used did not reach the required dimensions of 9” x 9” – so once I’d completed the square as per the original design, I just added a few more rounds following pattern of the last round (or last 2 rounds) till I got to our desired size specifications.

It is also heartening to note that when people heard I was doing this for Project Chemo, some of them have gone out of their way to share ideas, links and/or photos for this. Rajeshwari, Prabha, Suma...Thank you.

Materials used : A combination of our local Indian acrylic yarns (3-ply, 4-ply as well as Vardhaman Millenium DK ply)

 1. LEMONY SQUARE
                                                 Detail

http://smoothfoxlover.blogspot.in/2010/07/smoothfoxs-lemony-lime-citrus-square.html 

Just the name of this square made me want to try it.. and as I had lemony citrussy colours in hand.. I couldn't resist!


2. SUNBURST GRANNY SQUARE

                                           Detail


My square was about 5” on completion of the pattern per link – so just went around with a few more rounds with dc in each ch-sp and (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in each corner till I got our required 9” x 9” square.


3.TELESCOPING WRISTLET SQUARE




4. MIDNIGHT HOUR WRISTLET SQUARE - 2 

                                                 Detail

Small tweak here – after mixing (alternating) colors of adjacent squares, thought it was getting too dark – so decided to make just 6 little squares, and then add bold stripes in between them.  So the square pattern is from the link above – the rest is creativity.


5. SUMMER GARDEN GRANNY SQUARE

                                                       Detail


6. NANA’S FLOWER POWER SQUARE

                                                                                                    Detail
So this beautiful sunflower-ry pattern worked out to 1/4th the size I needed.. so I just went on to make four squares, and then joined them to make one 9”x 9” square.


7. SUNFLOWER SQUARE

                                                                                                        Detail
The video here is not in English, but its well done and self explanatory.. and hey, I think I picked up a bit of Spanish too! J  Sunflowers are just .. ooh so bright and can just brighten up your day..and for this project … truly magical crochet!
Each little square came to about 1/4th the size I’m looking for – so as before (with the Nana's flower power square), I made four of these and joined them up.  Alternatively, you could just add dc rounds all around, and make just one 9 x 9” square with one cute little sunflower in the centre for our project here.


8. SUNFLOWER SQUARE 2


This lovely pattern has both a written as well as a video version.  Here we can make four little squares and then join them together, or just make one sunflower, increase the number of rows in green, and then use a contrast one till we reach our 9” x 9” square requirement.

9. KANSAS SUNFLOWER SQUARE



Note : This pattern uses English / British terminology.


10. FLOWER GRANNY SQUARE


Lovely pattern .. and you can just add so much colour to a project using this square.


11. DAISY FLOWER SQUARE

                                                       Detail



12. RAINBOWS N DAISY GRANNY SQUARE 

                                                                                                       Detail



13. PRIMAVERA FLOWERS GRANNY SQUARE 

                                                                                                         Detail

This flower literally pops out at you.. and when using a really soft yarn, I think this particular square would be a superbly soft and fluffy.. and oh so colorful a gift to make for anyone.


14. MANDALA OCTAGON SQUARE

                                                                                                           Detail

http://crochetmillan.bloggplatsen.se/2014/07/27/10801961-semester-virkning/ 

and then to make this lovely mandala into a square, visit



16. BUTTERFLY SQUARE

                                                                                                        Detail


And Oh my God.. this is such an amazingly pattern.. so darn smart!  What a beautiful construction.. and so easy.. you must try this one !


17.WATERFLOWER GRANNY SQUARE

                                                                                                           Detail

http://biguhandmade2.blogspot.in/2011/01/granny-nenufar-waterflower-granny.html?&cuid=d956bbda9444e3cbb62890e9e6e8ff10


18.KATA SQUARE

                                                     Detail
 http://thecreativepenny.blogspot.in/2010/11/kata-free-crochet-square-pattern.html

So this pattern makes a 12”x12” square – so the first time I’ve had to “under-do” a pattern !  An absolutely stunningly beautiful flower square – that will make such a wow afghan !

19.CROCHET PLAISIR

                                                                                                    Detail

So in this lovely pattern, I just omitted that last round (with the chs) and stopped in the 2nd last dc all around round.  I then continued with dc rounds till I got the 9” x 9” square needed for my present project.


20.DAHLIA FLOWER
                                                                                                          Detail

An extremely unique use of the famous crocodile stitch to make this lovely flower.


21. VIOLA FLOWER GRANNY SQUARE

                                                                                                       Detail



Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns 


If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience), and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  




More lovely granny square pattern links here… Enjoy