Wednesday 26 August 2015

MICQ BLANKETS – 1 & 2


Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog ; photo of MICQ Blanket 1Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog ; photo of MICQ Blanket 2

MICQ BLANKETS – 1 and 2

The wonderful Ms. Subashri Natarajan thought of involving all Indian crocheters in a beautiful event – to try and make the largest Crochet blanket and enter the Guinness Book of World Records.  We have named our group Mother India Crochet Queens with the catchy acronym MICQ.

The event is on in full swing and our group has quite a few hard working crocheters, full of zest, enthusiasm and pride to try and make this work. At the end of the event, we intend to distribute all the blankets to the needy.

If you are an Indian crocheter, no matter which part of the world you are in, and would like to join this event, do check in on this Facebook page for details https://www.facebook.com/groups/468779636631544/?fref=ts

We’re all going to make one metre blankets each that can then be easily counted out by the judges ; One metre being a 40” x 40” square.
Now while the easiest way to use up stash and complete a square would be the (3 dc ; ch 2, 3 dc) going around in circles (or a square) till you get the desired sized project, I thought that as these are going to be donated eventually, let’s do something a little different.

Thank you for joining me.
In case you have just joined me, know that you can access all of my earlier creations by checking under ‘categories’ on the right hand side of this blog under “Labels”.  Then, for your convenience, follow me here or on Facebook, You Tube, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram. Check out all my social media handles at the bottom of this blog
Oh, and may I add that the fastest way to find any of my blogs is via Pinterest.

Do remember to add my blog URL when you make and show off your creation.  Cheers.  Enjoy 

So here’s what I’ve started with.  There are so many charts on the internet, so using some of them for inspiration for the centre of the blanket; these are my notes on what I’ve done.

Materials used : Today I’ve used our lovely Indian Vardhaman millennium DK ply acrylic yarn with a 4.5 mm crochet hook

Stitches used :
Starting slip knot : Here’s how you start with a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/lJcqsVcs8cw

Starting slip knot 1 or the Sloppy Slip knot : This is a neat new way to start your work without a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/YfC7KmGpifs

What is a slip stitch : Here is a neat video tutorial at https://youtu.be/weB3QNbA8Iw

What is a chain stitch ? Here is an easy video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXx5ukBjKkY

Magic circle : To refresh your skill, please view this easy video https://youtu.be/ISC39yOqWro

Double Crochet : dc : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (3 lps on hk);
[yo, draw through 2 lps] twice.  One dc made. 
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/xdnjB27zpYo

Chainless start for Double Crochet : I dislike the ch-2 / ch – 3 start, and this is what I do to start my row of dc.
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/wskv3iTjRx0


Abbreviations used :
lp(s) : Loop(s)                       sc : Single crochet
dc : Double crochet              sp : Space                                 
sl-st : Slip stitch                    sk : skip               
st(s) : Stitch(es)                    hk : Hook
yo : Yarn Over                      ch : Chain
fdc : Foundation Double Crochet

MICQ BLANKET 1

Please note that I start all my rows with a ch 1, turning chain for ease.
Please check the top of this blog for easy video tutorials on all stitches used in today's pattern.
Please read through all my notes before you pick up your hook, so you know just where we're heading in our pattern.
In my patterns I work with the principle of stitch count and body measurement.  This means that you need to work the stitch count in pattern, till you get the measurement (length and/or width) that you need for your project. 

So my first blanket has Tamara Kelly’s lovely magic spike mandala square in the centre.  This reminded me of our Indian flag, so if you have the right colours, then.. hey, why not..  I didn’t.  I’m presently trying to finish my huge overflowing stash.



The designer instructions are self-explanatory. 

My notes here are only for the what I’ve done after completing the centre 12” mandala, as I need to make a square 40” x 40’ blanket.

So our last round has 148 sts. 


Our stitch count is in multiples of 4.  
So we need to ensure we have multiples of 4 hence forth.

Round 1 :  dc in the 1st st ; 
*dc in each dc till the corner ch-sp ; 
(2 dc in the next ch-sp ; ch 2, 2 dc in the same ch-sp)* ; 
rep *to* all around till end.  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

Round 2 :  dc in the 1st 3 dc ; 
*(ch 1, dc in the next 3 dc) ; 
rep from (to) till the last 3 dc from end ; 
sk next dc , dc in the next 2 dc, 2 dc in the corner ch-2 sp ; 
2 dc in the same corner sp
sk next dc and rep (to) till next corner* ; 
rep from *to* all around and join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

Round 3 :  sl-st into the 1st 2 dc ; 
[dc in the next dc ; dc in the next ch-1 sp ; dc in the next dc] ; 
(ch 1, sk next dc and rep [to]) ; 
*rep (to) till 3 dc before the corner ch-2 sp ; 
sk next dc , dc in the next 2 dc ; 
2 dc in the next ch-2 sp ; 
ch 2 and 2 dc in the same ch-2 corner sp ; 
dc in the next 2 dc* ; 
rep *to* all around and join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

So as you’ve seen instead of having all 3 dcs in the ch-sp, we’re spreading our 3 dc’s over 2 dc’s and a ch-sp.  A quick chart below to explain this out to you.

And this basically will be our repeat round that we work round and round till you have your 40” x 40” square. 

Fasten off and weave in ends.


MICQ BLANKET 2


My second blanket is the regular granny square from start to finish, and I’m presently trying to finish my huge overflowing stash… so using the basic chart, I’ve just done rounds with shades of blue /blue-green and grey. 

A simple chart for this compilation for your easy reference.  


Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. Come back right here for more freebie patterns

Remember to share this blog post when you share your photos with me on Facebook.  I’d love to feature your photos on my FB page.  Cheers.

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/


Join me on YouTube at https://youtube.com/shyamanivas

And on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/ for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Find me on Ravelry at ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas/


Have a great day and see you soon. 

People who liked this pattern also looked at these beautiful and unusual free blanket and afghan square patterns.

























..and some more patterns