Thursday, 6 August 2015

A LOVELY R & R Tee SHIRT


A LOVELY R & R  Tee SHIRT

R & R is one of my favourite past times.. As a family we re-use , recycle a lot.  My daughter, inspired by some pins on her Pinterest board decided to do some combinations on her dad’s t-shirts.. and I added a little crochet , so here’s what did.
This particular t-shirt is one of her own new plain ones, which had too high a neckline and was ‘too boring’.. so she roughly cut the neckline down to a deep “V” and then I added the yoke.

Now as we were talking about what she would do to it, she was thinking of a square neck, so I made this square yoke, and either creativity, or a extra nick of the scissor and the neckline went.. well, a little different.

The yoke was made and I thought we’d just improvise (a.k.a be creative J )

I loved this pattern I’d seen on pinterest, which I can think of making into several other products.. but for now, here’s the yoke.
As I work on this pattern, I’ve written down my notes that I share with you.



Materials used : Today I’ve used our Indian Red Rose metallic cotton yarn,  with a 3 mm crochet hook 

Abbreviations used :  (Using U.S terminology)
sc : Single crochet                                                  dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                         ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                         rep : Repeat
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet

Stitches used :

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row.  Do take a look at this self explanatory super video http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using the chainless dc start.


Start : with fsc in multiples of 12, depending on the length you want for this strip. Turn.

Row 1 : dc in the 1st fsc ; ch 2 , dc in the same fsc ; sk next 3 fsc , sc in the next 5 fsc  ; 
*sk the next 3 fsc ; (dc in the next dc ; [ch 2, dc in the same dc] ; rep [to] once) ; 
sk next 3 fsc, sc in the next 5 fsc* ; 
rep *to* till last 4 fsc ; sk next 3 fsc , dc in the last fsc ; 
ch 2, dc in the same last fsc.  Turn.

Row 2 :  dc in the 1st dc ; 3 dc in the ch-2 sp ; dc in the next dc ; 
*sk next sc, sc in the next 3 sc ; 
sk next sc, (dc in the next dc ; [3 dc in the next ch-2 sp ; dc in the next dc] ; 
rep [to] once ; sk next sc, sc in the next 3 sc ; sk next sc)*  ; 
rep *to* till last sc ; 
dc in next dc ; 3 dc in next ch-2 sp ; dc in the last dc.  Turn.

Row 3 : sc in the 1st dc ; sc in the next 2 dc ; sk next 2 dc and sc , 
(dc in the next sc ; [ch 2, dc in the same sc] ; rep [to] once) ; 
*sk next 2 dc, sc in the next 5 dc ; sk next 2 dc , rep (to) once * ; 
rep *to* till last sc ;  sk next 2 dc, sc in the last 3 dc.  Turn.

Row 4 : sc in the 1st 2 sc ; dc in the next dc ; 
[3 dc in the next ch-2 sp ; dc in the next dc] ; rep [to] once ; 
*sk  next sc, sc in the next 3 sc ; sk next sc , rep [to] once* ; 
rep *to* till last 3 sc ; sk next sc, sc in the last 2 sc.  Turn.

Row 5 : dc in the 1st sc ; ch 2, dc in the same 1st sc ; 
*(sk next 2 dc, sc in the next 5 dc) ; sk next 2 dc and sc , dc in the next sc ; 
[ch 2, dc in the same sc] ; rep [to] once* ; 
rep *to* till last dc ; sk last 2 dc and sc , dc in the last sc , rep [to] once.  Turn.

Rows 2 - 5 form one pattern repeat.  Rep these rows till you get the height you want for your little strip.




 Fasten off and weave in ends.

Attach this yoke to the t-shirt and jazz it all up .. new from old.. and enjoy your wonderful Re-used and Re-cycled creation. 

We’ve attached our yoke to the back of the t-shirt.. and I thought the back neckline could do with a little ..well a little something more.
(Boring mum’s that we are, constantly telling our kids that the neckline is too low !? )

So after attaching that yoke, I just ran an fsc chain between the two sides. 
I made this strip longer than needed.  I then folded that centre bit in and made a bow.

To make the bow, you find the centre of the strip, and mark two points on either side of this centre that will decide the width of your bow.
You then fold these two side points under, such that they both come together at the centre of that strip.  Stitch them down there and then if needed pass the thread around that centre stitch to neatly tie that in.  Bling it up with a pearl button if you have one.

And now that we’re all done with our lovely t-shirt, slip it on and enjoy the prasies that follow. J

I also ran a round of sc and picot all around the front of the t-shirt to give it just that small line of shine (I’ve used a metallic cotton  yarn, remember) J
Oh, I just used one of my thinner 0.9 mm needles to poke a small hole into the fabric, and made my sc's into the fabric straight off.. and I am happy that it worked.. wondered if I needed any special tool(s) here and sweat about it a bit.. So try it.. and if you have a better way of doing this, do add it to the comments below, so we can help someone else along.  Thanks.

Fasten off and weave in ends.  Give yourself a big pat on the back as this one has really been a great project – but totally worth it, I’m sure you’ll agree.

And that’s done.. yet another project brilliantly executed ! J

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own yoke and Re-used, Re-cycled creation.  Thanks.


Have a great day and see you soon. J
  
I have a yoke and a mock camisole pattern too, and just in case you want a dekho … here you go  J