Monday, 17 October 2016

ROTARY CHARITY CAPS

free crochet cap patterns, charity cap patterns

ROTARY CHARITY CAPS


I am making these for a Charity Drive with Rotary India (Chembur) in conjunction with the Burns Clinic at Airoli, Navi Mumbai.

Most of the projects that are in this blog are from free patterns and the notes are only for either a difference in pattern or for sizes obtained using our locally available Indian yarns.

Materials used : Today I’ve used our lovely Indian Vardhaman Millenium and / or Oswal Cashmilon 4-ply yarns with a 4 mm crochet hook 

Abbreviations used :
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                 dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                                    ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                    rep : Repeat
hdc : Half Double crochet                                 sc-blo : Single Crochet Back Loop Only
MC : Main Colour                                                  CC : Contrast Colour


Stitches used :
Magic circle : To refresh your skill, please view this easy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row.  Do take a look at this self-explanatory super video http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using the chainless dc start.

dc 2-tog : Double crochet 2-tog : [yo, insert hk in st or ch-sp, yo and pull up a lp ; yo and draw through 2 lps] 2 times (3 lps on hk) ; yo, draw through all lps on hk.  One dc 2-tog made.

Here is a sizing chart for general head sizing : https://in.pinterest.com/pin/470063279837764548/
 
How to join the two ends of your work : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUGb9pIcsXE



free crochet cap patterns

free crochet cap pattern

free crochet cap pattern

A : Notes for the Basic crochet hat from Mango tree crafts

I’ve made a set of 7 beanies from the really great free patterns at
http://mangotreecrafts.blogspot.in/2015/02/free-basic-beanie-crochet-pattern-all.html inspired by these photos 



..and these are just my notes for the difference(s) and sizing using the local Indian yarns

The Cluster stitch that the designer has explained is also known as a dc 2-tog.
My notes here are for sizing using the two Indian yarns and the sizes of hat that I’ve got.


free crochet cap pattern

1.       Preemie hat made with Oswal Cashmilon and 4 mm crochet hook. Size 3.75” from crown to forehead (length) and 6” across (side to side).  
Rounds 6 – 10 : I worked a hdc instead of an sc – to get the gauge required with the yarn used.



free crochet cap pattern

2.     Size 0 – 6 months : made with Oswal Cashmilon and 4 mm crochet hook. Size 4.75” from crown to forehead (length) and 6.5” across (side to side).  
Rounds 7 – 11 : I worked a hdc instead of an sc – to get the gauge required with the yarn used.



free crochet cap pattern

3.     Size 6 – 12 months : made with Vardhaman Millennium  and 4 mm crochet hook. Size 5.5” from crown to forehead (length) and 7” across (side to side).  
Rounds 8 – 13 : I worked a hdc instead of an sc – to get the gauge required with the yarn used.



free crochet cap pattern

4.     Size 12 months – 2 yrs : made with 4-ply acrylic yarn and 4 mm crochet hook. Size 6.5” from crown to forehead (length) and 8” across (side to side).  
Rounds 9 – 15 : I worked a hdc instead of an sc – to get the gauge required with the yarn used.



free crochet cap pattern

5.     Size 3 – 6 yrs : made with 4-ply acrylic yarn and 4 mm crochet hook. Size 7” from crown to forehead (length) and 8.5” across (side to side).  
Rounds 10 – 16 : I worked a hdc instead of an sc – to get the gauge required with the yarn used.


free crochet cap pattern

6.     Size 7 – 10 yrs : made with 4-ply acrylic yarn and 4 mm crochet hook. Size 7.5” from crown to forehead (length) and 9.5” across (side to side).  
Rounds 10 – 18 : I worked a hdc instead of an sc – to get the gauge required with the yarn used.


free crochet cap pattern

7.     Size 11 yrs to Adult : made with 4-ply acrylic yarn and 4 mm crochet hook. Size 8.5” from crown to forehead (length) and 11” across (side to side).  
Rounds 10 – 19 : I worked a hdc instead of an sc – to get the gauge required with the yarn used.



free crochet cap pattern

B : Notes for the Baby chick or Baby bird hat from Darleen Hopkins
I’ve made a few beanies from this really cute free pattern at
I’ve got a size of 7” length and circumference of 16.5”, which with the stretch of my yarn and work, will fit 6 yrs to young teen.

free crochet cap pattern

free crochet cap pattern

free crochet cap pattern

I suggest that if using the same yarn thickness (esp if you are unable to get the gauge as given by the designer, every few rounds) then change to double crochet (for length) and probably increase the number of round increases for getting the increase in circumference.

For the eyes : If you don’t get the little buttons, then here’s what I’ve done.

Work a magic circle with 6 sc (or hdc, depending on how thick your yarn is) in that circle.  Pull loosely to close circle.  Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.
Fasten off leaving a tail to attach. 
Choose the eye colour you wish and have fun.

C : Notes for “Love this Beanie and Cowl”  from Heidi Yates

free crochet cap pattern

This lovely pattern is available free for a short time only on Ravelry here. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/love-this-beanie-and-cowl, inspired by this photograph 




I’ll only add one thing for our Indian users.  We do not get this bulky yarn locally, and I’ve made this using a 4 mm hook and Vardhaman Millennium.  This pattern is worked side to side in pattern, and you’re working from the brim of your hat / beanie to the crown sideways.  So I started with an even number of stitches that was sufficient for the length / height of the beanie less what I kept for the brim.  Which means that you calculate what you want for the full length/ height and then ‘deduct’ the number of inches for the brim and then work the pattern.. I then came back to add in the brim. 

The beauty of this pattern is that if it turns out too short, just add in a bit more for the brim and voila! You’re back in the running!

As this pattern may become a paid pattern shortly, I cannot share specifics of what I’ve done.. Sorry.

Size : Circumference = 18” x Height from crown to brim = 7.5”


Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/  OR just my free patterns at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/free-patterns-made-by-me/


And please join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Have a great day and see you soon. 

I have a few pieces of head wear already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go