Friday, 3 February 2017

JAS’ SPIRALLY WONDERFUL BEANIE

spiral beanie, ladies headwear, girls beanie

JAS’ SPIRALLY WONDERFUL BEANIE


I have made this cap before for a little girl and I usually do not repeat patterns, but with this one, I just had to make an exception. Not only is this for a dear friend, but this pattern is also one of a kind

If you have missed this pattern the first time around, do mark it for a “Must do Sometime In My Life”, as I totally think its worth it.

Materials used : Today I’ve used our lovely Indian Vardhaman millennium acrylic variegated yarn with a 4 mm crochet

Abbreviations used :
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                 dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                                    ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                    rep : Repeat


Stitches used :
Magic circle : To refresh your skill, please view this easy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg
Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row.  Do take a look at this self-explanatory super video http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using the chainless dc start.

Here is a sizing chart for general head sizing : https://in.pinterest.com/pin/470063279837764548/
  
How to join the two ends of your work : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUGb9pIcsXE


Instructions : (Using U.S terminology)

1.       SPIRALLY WONDERFUL CAP

free crochet pattern, ladies headwear, girls beanie

For my first pattern, I have used the brilliant free pattern from Danyel Pink at http://www.danyelpinkdesigns.com/2013/10/crochet-pattern-delaney-hat.html


This is a really cute pattern. It is worked in one continuous row from the forehead to the crown and then up and down the spiral. 
The designer started with a chain, but I (as usual) preferred my foundation chain start and started with a foundation half double crochet chain.  As I have said innumerable times, it may be a little difficult to work the foundation chain start, but in the long run, it is so much better to start this way, as both ends of your work have a similar stretch and they match up easier.

free crochet beanie pattern

fhdc : Foundation Half Double Crochet : For the foundation half double crochet, check this video http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-half-double-crochet/

So at the end of the foundation row, work 15 chain for the spiral and you work 2 or 3 sc in each ch all the way to the end of the foundation chain.  Then as per the design, work a hdc (half double crochet) in back loops only (blo) all the way up and down.
The spirals are worked only at one end, and that end becomes the crown.  So depending on the size you’re making this for, you will get that many spirals and it is an absolute blast.

free crochet beanie pattern

If you want a longer spiral, you just add more chain.  I also played around with the number of sc per chain, and worked a combination of 3, 4 and 5 sc in every alternating chain, and find that it spirals really well.
The other thing that I noted for getting a good spiral is to work only in one side of the chain. So usually, when working an sc, we pass our hook through two parts of the chain and this not only avoids a gaping hole, but also gives a firmer start.  In the case of spirals though, I felt that working through one part of the chain gave it a better spirally effect.  That said, play around with the number of stitches and where you place them, and be amazed with the effect of something this simple.

I’ve also added one round of reverse single crochet (or crab stitch) to end up my beanie.

free crochet beanie pattern


If you want to work the crab stitch, check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE-ObvYb_Pk

free crochet beanie pattern

Have fun creating something beautiful and hope the recipient loves it too.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own baby headwear.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/  OR just my free patterns at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/free-patterns-made-by-me/


And please join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Have a great day and see you soon. J

I have a few pieces of headwear already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go  J