Thursday, 1 September 2016

A FUN REVERSIBLE OLYMPIC BEANIE

free crochet pattern, free crochet beanie pattern, free crochet unisex reversible beanie pattern,free crochet pattern, free crochet beanie pattern, free crochet unisex reversible beanie pattern,

free crochet pattern, free crochet beanie pattern, free crochet unisex reversible beanie pattern,

free crochet pattern, free crochet beanie pattern, free crochet unisex reversible beanie pattern,

A FUN REVERSIBLE OLYMPIC BEANIE


This is a lovely and oh, so simple beanie is a special request from my niece. I just made her a beanie that she’d chosen, but I *think* that that one (due to its stitches) is a bit lacy (read ‘holey’).  I decided to whip up another one for her.  Keeping in theme with the Olympic Games 2016, I thought that that should be the ‘theme’. 

This is the superb free pattern I've used at https://in.pinterest.com/pin/470063279839645330/ or http://megan.cc/CrochetBriocheHat/ and the photograph below is my inspiration.
My notes are only for the additions and some minor explanations.





Materials used : Today I’ve used about 70 gms of our lovely Indian Oswal  acrylic yarn,  with a 4 mm crochet hook

Skill level : Intermediate.  

Stitches used :
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3,I’d like to introduce a lovely way of starting a double crochet row.  Do take a look at this self explanatory super video
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using this chainless dc start.

This original pattern is written using U.K terminology.  So please check the little abbreviations sheet given at the top of the blog link http://megan.cc/CrochetBriocheHat/

Instead of a row of chain, I started with a fsc chain. 

I loved the video for the special turn.. something new learned.  Thanks Megan.

I found the explanation for the top of the beanie a little odd at the start.. but then realized that all that the designer had not explained,  is that we’re basically working from the top of the beanie to the brim in back loops only – so we get that braided effect that also makes it reversible. 
And as we’re doing this, we’re also ensuring that the crown bit is a neat tiny (or tinier) part than the opened up brim – which is why we use slip stitches closer to the brim AND we also work every alternate set of rows a few stitches away from the brim (Rows 4 & 5).  This not only reduces the thickness of the brim, but also gives it a really neat pattern (which you will see once you’ve done a few rows of this).
Your work therefore will curve slightly, but that’s perfectly ok.

I thought I’d add a few photographs here, of the first few rows – as I know that I thought I was going all wrong when I saw my work curving and wondering why my “counts” seemed off.  Hope this helps.








Olympic rings :



For the tiny little Olympic rings, I started with a magic circle and worked 6 sc in that circle.  Join with a sl-st to the 1st sc.  Pull lightly leaving a small hole in the center.  Leave a longish tail to attach this onto your beanie and fasten off.

Make the five rings in the colours of the Olypiad and check the combination used when attaching the rings together.

If you are going to wear this on the folded brim, then ensure that you fold the brim back first before you neatly attach your Olympic rings to it.
Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns



If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own baby creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/  or just my free patterns at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/free-patterns-made-by-me/


And please join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Have a great day and see you soon. 

I have a few headwear pieces already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go