Monday, 8 September 2014

A REALLY CUTE SET OF DRESS, CAP N BOOTIES


A REALLY CUTE SET OF DRESS, CAP N BOOTIES

Having made the really cute dress yesterday, I thought it was incomplete without the ubiquitous little cap and booties  - so here goes what I’ve done to complete this set.

For the detailed pattern of this dress, do check the blog at http://shyamanivas.blogspot.in/ (Pattern under “Beautifully lacy dress” put up on 07 September 2014).

Of course as this set of booties and cap are a lovely mix-n-match, you may well find that they work with any other pattern.. both from my blog or somewhere else as well J




Materials used : 4-ply baby from Stylecraft ~ 15 gms, with a 4 mm (US 6, G) crochet hook

(for Indian yarn users : I find this yarn somewhere between our unbranded / Oswal / Wendy 3 and 4 ply.  I say in-between, as sometimes our 3 ply can be as thin as 2 ply, and sometimes the 4 ply is like a 3 ply thickness… so please check your gauge here and see if this works with the yarn you’re using to achieve size)
Size made : 0 – 6 months (Head circumference 14-15”)
Gauge : 3 shells (rows) and 2 shells (across) = 1”

Changes made : Not sure if this qualifies as a 'change' as not included in pattern.. but after making the first tie on one side, rather than have an end to weave and hide (lazy me J), I repeated one more half line of the pattern till I reached the opposite side of the bonnet for the 2nd tie and then repeated instructions for this tie.  This way the back bit is a shell 'longer' and there is one less end to weave in J

Now this pattern worked well with the materials I’ve used above for a 0-6 month old, and this pattern is easily adaptable for a larger size as well.   
This pattern for the shells is in multiples of 3, so instead of increasing rounds till 40, I’d go a few more lines (with that first set of rounds in multiples of 8).  So a bit of calculation needed.. rounds for first set and then the shelled set.. but not that much work, now that we’ve got what the numbers are, right J

For my booties, I’ve chosen the Mon Petit Violon: Let’s being with gifts ! from http://web.archive.org/web/20090321071022/  or http://monpetitviolon.blogspot.com/2009/03/lets-begin-with-gifts.html



Materials used : 4-ply baby from Stylecraft  15 gms, with a 4 mm (US 6, G) crochet hook

(for Indian yarn users : same info as above.. but please check your gauge here and see if this works with the yarn you’re using to achieve size)
Size made : 0 – 6 months (L from toe to heel : 4- 4.5”)
Gauge : 4 hdc rows and 2 sets of (hdc, ch 1, hdc) (across) = 1”

Changes made : So to match my bonnet, which has the ‘tie’ made with the same yarn, I made a tie for the bootie too.  
I also reduced the ‘shelled’ edging : The designer has said (3 hdc, ch 3, 3 hdc) in every ch-3 sp.  I’ve done it in every alternate sp and a vsc in every alternate sp.

I’d initially chosen Princess –X pattern from http://beadz-yarn-stuff.blogspot.in/2009/08/baby-booties.html.

Lovely pattern but as designer has used a cotton  yarn, I was not getting my gauge right – but it’s so cute, thought I’d share it here anyway.

Here’s hoping you too have as much fun as I have had in making this cute set. We’ll meet again shortly.. same space.. so if you haven’t yet.. do ‘follow’ me and/or add me to your mailing list for your convenience.

Ciao and have a great day too
J