Thursday 29 August 2019

SUNFLOWER SUNDRESS

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog, full photo of the Sunflower Sundress, this blog has a video tutorial,
SUNFLOWER SUNDRESS

This dress has been on my “to-do” list for a while.. the combination of white with the green border and the large flowers has been tempting me and I’m thrilled to be working on this creation today.  This dress will truly bring out the creativity in you – there is so much scope to make something so beautiful and I’m sure you’re gonna love it.

Thank you for joining me.

In case you have just joined me, know that you can access all of my earlier creations by checking under ‘categories’ on the right hand side of this blog under “Labels”.  Then, for your convenience, follow me here or on Facebook, You Tube, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.

Check out all my social media handles at the bottom of this blog

Oh, and may I add that the fastest way to find any of my blogs is via Pinterest.


All my blogs can be printed.  Find the printer friendly (green) link on the right side of this blog.  You can also hit Control P (or Command P for Mac) on your keyboard, and the blog will go directly to the connected printer.

Remember that you only print if absolutely essential.  Save paper – Save Our Earth. 


Do remember to add my blog URL when you make and show off your creation. 

Just copy the link on the search bar above - that's the blog URL.


To purchase this or similar yarn online, click the highlighted links below to buy your yarns online via Amazon.  While you will still pay the same, I may get paid by Amazon as well. 

This is a free blog - so do pay it forward for me.  Cheers.


Do check my long Pinterest “to-do” list for little girl’s dresses at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/girls-dresses-to-make/
Thanks for joining me once again as we work on and discover this new pattern together. 

Materials used : Today I’ve used ~ about 140 gms of unbranded knitting cotton or with a 3 mm crochet hook ; a little embroidery thread ; embroidery needle sewing needle ; fabric glue to seal ends ; crochet stitch markers ; buttonspress buttons ; satin ribbon ; headband ; tic-tac clips ; rubber band ; hair comb or barrette  ; beads n more

For Indians You could use Anchor , Red rose , 4-ply knitting cotton , White Rose or bamboo knitting cotton , Milk cotton ; Silk yarns as well as Oswal &  Vardhaman acrylic yarns ; Baby soft acrylic yarn , Ganga Spectrum as well

General yarn info : The yarn used today is not specific to this pattern.
You can use any yarn with a suitable hook to make this project to any size.
     
International yarns :  Among the international yarns I have used in this thickness, I’d suggest Aunt Lydia Cotton 10, Aunt Lydia Bamboo-Viscose 10, DMC Petra, Sullivans knitting cotton (Australia), Milford Soft, Hilaza Rustica Eclat , Alize cotton yarn and Alize bamboo yarn , Lily Sugar n' Cream cotton yarn, Caron Simply Soft , Bernat Softee chunky.

Abbreviations used :
ch : Chain                           sp(s) : Space(s)
dc : Double crochet            hk : Hook                                                     
st(s) : Stitch(es)                  sl-st : slip stitch
sk : Skip                              sp : space
rep : repeat
fsc : Foundation single crochet  

Stitches used :
How to hold your yarn in crochet : https://youtu.be/FwOlCbGdbqY

Starting slip knot :  https://youtu.be/lJcqsVcs8cw

Starting slip knot 1 or the Sloppy Slip knot :   https://youtu.be/YfC7KmGpifs

What is a slip stitch :  https://youtu.be/weB3QNbA8Iw

What is a chain stitch ?  tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXx5ukBjKkY

Single Crochet : Sc : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (2 lps on hk); yo, draw through both lps.  One sc made.  Check out the video at https://youtu.be/ghACqBpA-3k

First stitch for Single Crochet : This is how I like to start my row of sc. Check out the video at https://youtu.be/6pVYRfsf4_M

Magic circle :  https://youtu.be/ISC39yOqWro

Foundation Single Crochet : fsc :  https://youtu.be/mcT85fwh4mA  

Half Double Crochet : Hdc :  yo, insert hk into st ; yo (3 lps on hk) ;
yo, draw through all 3 lps.  One hdc made. 
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/sDiELJdB2Dg

Chainless start for Half Double Crochet : I dislike the ch-2 start, and this is what I do to start my row of hdc. Check out the video at https://youtu.be/lWXpl1KdbZ8

Double Crochet : dc : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (3 lps on hk);
[yo, draw through 2 lps] twice.  One dc made. 
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/xdnjB27zpYo

Chainless start for Double Crochet : I dislike the ch-2 / ch – 3 start, and this is what I do to start my row of dc.
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/wskv3iTjRx0

Double Triple Crochet : dtrc :  wrap yarn three times around hook, insert hk into st ; yo (4 lps on hk); [yo, draw through 2 lps] three times.  One trc made. 
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/XyPrnAtOs3U

Once you have made as many squares as you want for your blanket, use one of these joining methods for a neat join.

Whipstitch to join : https://youtu.be/wZ-9LNzftMA

Invisible join :  https://youtu.be/a6XZQ6VzJFM

Single crochet to join :  https://youtu.be/6FXoW_47_dI

How to change colors seamlessly : https://youtu.be/fRzSBja9jno 

How to carry your yarn when using two colors :  https://youtu.be/NuascBU3pxQ 

Instructions
Please note that I start all my rows with a ch 1, turning chain for ease.
Please check the top of this blog for easy video tutorials on all stitches used in today's pattern.
Please read through all my notes before you pick up your hook, so you know just where we're heading in our pattern.
In my patterns I work with the principle of stitch count and body measurement.  This means that you need to work the stitch count in pattern, till you get the measurement (length and/or width) that you need for your project.  

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog, modeled photo of the Sunflower Sundress,

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog, modeled photo of the Sunflower Sundress,

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog, modeled photo of the Sunflower Sundress,


Instructions : (Using U.S terminology)

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog, full photo of the Sunflower Sundress,

As I started writing the pattern, I chanced to show what I was working on with a friend, and she said there was this ready-made pattern for it.. so here you go.


The pattern however starts with a fixed number of stitches, and I think it is for a waist size 21.5”.  

I am making this for a one year old, so I had to figure out how to change this a bit.  
Here are my notes, which as always, give you a stitch count. 
As long as you get the stitch count right, you can make this to any size, using any yarn and suitable hook.

Important notes :
1)    Please read through all the instructions before you pick up your hook.
2)    Please note that I start all my rows / rounds with a ch 1, turning chain for ease.
3)    Please check the top of this blog for easy video tutorials of all the stitches used in this pattern.
We are going to follow the basic pattern given by the designer. 
I am just going to give you tweak ideas to make it to any size.
Yes, there is some calculation involved, but you can do it !

Right then.. what did I do differently?

1)      As always, I work on stitch count and the stitch count for the yoke is in multiples of 5

2)    The yoke has two patterns – one is the lacy/holey pattern (in red in my case) and then the white and red bit that go all the way to the shoulders.

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog, photo of the yoke of the Sunflower Sundress,

3)    For convenience (mainly of keeping the stitch count), I worked
*4 dc ; ch 1, sk next dc* in the white and red part of dcs. 
The pattern sheet reads 5 dc, but the designer has given number of stitches to start with too.. if that works for you great.. else I’m hoping that my general calculation will work for all sizes.

4)    I worked fewer rows of the red holed pattern, and then worked lesser rows of the 4-dc sets of white and red.  How do you know how many rows.. you wing it.  You take a look at the given charts for body sizing, or keep a well-fitting dress of the child you are making this for (as I always say), and then see how many rows you think you need for each section.  At the end of the day, this is your creation and your creativity at play – so don’t worry about “how many rows” 

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog, photo of the back of the Sunflower Sundress,

5)    Once you are done with the front and back yoke, we will start on the skirt portion.  I have kept the same Shell and Split shell ideas as given by the designer.  I also worked the first row in the same way.  However if you have not started with the designer’s stitch count, you will not work that first row of shells 39/40 times.  So how do we get that right? I just ensured that for the skirt portion, you have stitches in multiples of three. 

6)    Why do we need multiples of 4 for skirt portion ?  The designer has worked shell stitches and then a split shell st on her 7th round.  I worked the same thing on my 4th round.  I worked 2 shell sts and then 1 split shell st all around.  If you have shells in multiples of 4, you will get this done perfectly.  You then work the pattern as given.  Remember though, if you are making this for a younger child, you just check with the length needed and tweak the number of round repeats till you get it to the length you need for your skirt section.

7)     What do I do if I want more of a flared skirt? 
This is an Advanced skill requirement but you can do it too.

Our stitch count is in multiples of 3. 
After you have your stitches done in the first sc round 
(working in white for the first round of skirt section), 
you will work a *Shell st in the 1st st ; sk next 2 sts 
and work a Shell st in the next st* ; 
so instead of skipping 3 sts as given in the pattern sheet, you skip two and work the Shell st all around. 

Furthermore, when you come to the pattern sheet Round 7 for 
the split shell st
you work 2 shell sts and the work a split shell st in the next st.  
You will then continue with the pattern as given.. just that you have ‘taken off’ one shell st – the pattern sheet reads 3 shell sts in between two split shell sts, but you will have only two shell sts and then a split shell st.  

So if you can understand this and get this right, you will get the slightly flared look for this stunning dress .. this is what I’ve done.

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog, detail of the skirt pattern of the Sunflower Sundress,

8)    For the rest of the dress, I have worked the same pattern – I just worked it for as much as I needed for my baby’s dress length (skirt length + 10.25” for me)

9)     I changed my last few rows a little bit.. so for the last section (that starts with the red round, then the yellow one and then the bigger red section

10) For the lovely flower, I used a slightly different pattern – so you now have a choice of the one given in the designers’ sheet and this one. Fun choices, huh?


Flower pattern

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog, detail of the sunflower motif of the Sunflower Sundress,

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog, detail of the sunflower motif of the Sunflower Sundress,

Magic circle :  https://youtu.be/ISC39yOqWro

Start Round 1 :  (using yellow or orange) 
with a magic circle and 6 hdc in that circle. 
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st. 
Pull lightly to close.

In case this video does not come on, go to https://youtu.be/Qo49Er10TUQ

Round 2 : 2 hdc in the 1st hdc and each hdc till end.
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st. 
Fasten off yarn

We will now work on the flower petals. 
So we need to attach our white yarn, (or whichever colour you want for your flower petals) on any st.

How to change colors seamlessly :  https://youtu.be/fRzSBja9jno



Petals for flower

Start (using white) with 9 ch. Turn.

We will work all our petals in one continuous movement.  
This means that we work the 9 ch and then work sts down that chain till we reach the centre of the flower (the yellow we just made), and we work another ch 9 and work the next petal – all continuously.  Got it?

Row 1 : 
(sc in the 2nd ch from hook ; hdc in the next ch ; 
dc in the next 4 chs ; hdc in the next ch ; sc in the last ch ;
*sl-st in the next st ; ch 9 , Turn ; 
rep (to) once* ; 
rep *to* all around. (12 petals)
Fasten off and weave in ends.

This gives you a lovely flower.  In case you are working with a thinner yarn, you could work on a fuller flower.
For that you will be working two rounds of this same pattern. 
For your first round, you will work in the front loop of the st and for your second round, you will use the back loop of the st. 
This will give you two rows of petals for your flower. 

Fuller flower Row 1 : 
(sc in the 2nd ch from hook ; hdc in the next ch ; 
dc in the next 4 chs ; hdc in the next ch ; sc in the last ch ;
*sl-st in the front loop of the next st ; ch 9 , Turn ; 
rep (to) once* ; 
rep *to* all around ;
sl-st into the back loop of the next st ;
rep *to* st all around. (24 petals over two rounds)
Fasten off and weave in ends.

I had a really fun creative day and I do hope you did too.
Do come back right here for more freebie patterns

Remember to share this blog post when you share your photos with me on Facebook.  I’d love to feature your photos on my Facebook page.  Cheers.

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/


Join me on YouTube at http://youtube.com/shyamanivas

And on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/ for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Find me on Ravelry at ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas/

Have a great day and see you soon. 

I have a few dresses already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go  

























































































and here are a few skirt patterns that you can use your belt for..



Here are some of my tops
                        


























































Here are some of my bolero / jacket / vest creations.  Have fun with these free patterns too






































Here is a list of my earlier miscellaneous home use projects.  Enjoy