Saturday 23 September 2017

TINY ROSETTE TEA LIGHT HOLDERS

free crochet rose motif, free crochet tea light holder, free crochet flower motif
 TINY ROSETTE TEA LIGHT HOLDERS

Navratri is a festival of nine nights https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navratri when we ladies get a chance to show off our craft and decorative skills, have friends and family come home and enjoy some different foods.  This is closely followed by Diwali, our festival of lights https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali

During both these festivals, we decorate our homes with lights.  In the old days, we used mud lamps – now with the advent of tea lights and candles, these are the simpler, easier, and cleaner lamps that we use.
Do note though that fire is always a hazard, no matter what container it is used in.  So do take a look at the LED and battery operated flameless tea light holders for a further security measure – light without fear. 

Thank you for joining me.
In case you have just joined me, know that you can access all of my earlier creations by checking under ‘categories’ on the right hand side of this blog under “Labels”.  Then, for your convenience, follow me here or on Facebook, You Tube, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram. Check out all my social media handles at the bottom of this blog.
Oh, and may I add that the fastest way to find any of my blogs is via Pinterest.

Do remember to add my blog URL when you make and show off your creation.  Cheers.  Enjoy

If you’ve been following my blogs, you’ll know that I’ve already made a whole range of tea light holders, adapting several different patterns.

Materials used : Indian Polyester silk metallic yarn with a 4 mm crochet hook.
For Non-Indians : Polyester silk metallic yarn is available only in India.  It is a 4-ply / sport thickness.  You can use any yarn with a suitable hook to make this project

You can use any yarn with a suitable hook to make this lovely project. 
Difficulty level : Intermediate  to advanced skill level

Abbreviations used :
sc : single crochet              dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                           ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                          rep : Repeat


Stitches used :
Starting slip knot : Here’s how you start with a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/lJcqsVcs8cw 

Starting slip knot 1 or the Sloppy Slip knot : This is a neat new way to start your work without a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/YfC7KmGpifs 

Instructions using U.S terminology
Please note that I start all my rows with a ch 1, turning chain for ease.
Please check the top of this blog for easy video tutorials on all stitches used in today's pattern.  For your convenience there video tutorials through the blog too
Please read through all my notes before you pick up your hook, so you know just where we're heading in our pattern.
In my patterns I work with the principle of stitch count and body measurement.  
This means that you need to work the stitch count in pattern, till you get the measurement (length and/or width) that you need for your project.  

This is a pretty straight forward pattern and I’ve used the pattern from   

If you are just going to make this tiny little rosette, then you just go on ahead to the pattern sheet now.
free crochet rose motif pattern, free crochet flower motif pattern

free crochet rose motif tea light candle holder pattern, free crochet floral motif pattern, free crochet rose motif pattern,

free crochet tea light candle holder pattern, free crochet floral motif pattern

free crochet tea light candle holder pattern, free crochet floral motif pattern, free crochet rose motif pattern

 If however, you want to adapt it to make a tea light candle holder, then here are some ideas.

a)   Decide what kind of tea light you want to use and check out the diameter of the tea light.
b)   We start with a magic circle and the base of our little holder, and work till we get a round base that we’re happy with… i.e the size of the tea light candle holder we’re going to put inside. 
c)     Ensure that the round we’re making here is a little larger than the tea light, to prevent the flame from jumping out and creating a fire hazard.

Now before this before we jump into the pattern, here are some other uses for this little pattern.
The first *obvious* one would be to use it as a rosette and a button / embellishment for a cap or dress

If you are use cotton yarn, it can probably be a really cute coaster.

Finally, you could use it for a floating candle.  If so, that first circle will need to be the diameter of the glass that you will float the candle in.

This is a pretty straight forward pattern.  There is a photo tutorial on the blog.
Like I said before, we start with a magic circle and the base of our little holder, and work till we get a round base that we’re happy with… i.e the size of the tea light candle holder we’re going to put inside. 

So what I did was start with a magic circle and 8 dc in it.
In the 1st round, I worked 2 dc per dc, and had a final count of 16 dc that 2nd round
For my next round, I worked a sc in each st all around, once again ending with a stitch count of 16 sts.
I then followed the photo tutorial and worked the ch-sps and the three rounds of flower petals.

The reason for breaking that first magic circle round (designer has only one round of 16 dc), was to give a little base diameter, where I can pop in my tea light holder.. Smart huh? 

In some of my earlier tea light holders, I actually created a small little basket in the centre to hold the tea light – but here I felt that I loved the way the first round of petals would curl up around my tea light candle / protector and so have decided to work the way I have.

Yes, fire hazard.. but you did read the top of this blog – just use a LED battery operated tea light candle 

free crochet tea light candle holder pattern, free crochet rose motif pattern, free crochet floral tea light holder pattern

Easy enough, right? So let’s armed with all these ideas – go on off to that blog and make your beautiful creation.

I’ve totally enjoyed my play with flowers and their conversion into little tea light holders.  With Diwali just a day away, this is my last blog in this series.. for now J

Do come back right here for more freebie patterns

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. Come back right here for more freebie patterns

Remember to share this blog post when you share your photos with me on Facebook.  I’d love to feature your photos on my FB page.  Cheers.

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  
 
I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/

 
Join me on YouTube at https://youtube.com/shyamanivas 

And on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/ for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Find me on Ravelry at ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas/

 
Have a great day and see you soon. 

Here are some of my other creations.  Have fun with these free patterns too