Google+ Followers

Tuesday, 24 January 2017

MALAI DORI TABLE COASTERS

Sweet Nothings Crochet, table coaster, home use decoration

MALAI DORI TABLE COASTERS
( #Blogaday 24/365 )

Malai dori is a lovely Indian thick polyester silk  yarn that has a lovely silky finish, (that looks superb) and is easy to use too.  This is (probably) equal to an 8-ply thickness yarn.  That said, it does not matter which yarn you use, as long as it slightly thick – as all this pattern does is use the thickness to give this latticed finish.

This is my original pattern.  Thank you for joining me as we work on this pattern together.

Materials used : Today I’ve used about one skein of our Indian Polyester silky Malai dori yarn with a 4 mm crochet ;

Abbreviations used :
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                 dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                                   ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                  rep : Repeat

  
Stitches used :
Magic circle : To refresh your skill, please view this easy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

Sc-blo : Single Crochet Back Loop Only : For this stitch, we work the regular sc, but instead of going through both loops, you only go through the back loop of each sc. 




Instructions : (Using U.S terminology)



This pattern is a simple four round doily pattern.  
The only reason it looks different and latticed, is because of a small tweak – which I am sure someone has done before me.. so I am not claiming this as my own invention or idea.  
It’s just something that I did for convenience as I found it hard to get my hook through all the loops – so in trying to make things a little easier, “discovered” that this pattern looks fabulous!

Usually when one works a stitch, one goes through two loops on the chain or the stitch, right?  In this pattern, all I have done is work in the back loop of the stitch all around.  This causes the front loops to form the lattice pattern that looks so lovely.
I feel that this will work with any thickness of yarn, but looks a little better because of the thicker  yarn.
That said, I have not worked this pattern with a thinner yarn.. so go ahead and see if my *theory* works ;)

You could also add two colours but when using a thicker yarn, there is a thicker knot that needs masking.. which I feel is a bit more of  a bother.. but as we’re throwing ideas around, let’s get this one out there as well!

Start Round 1 : with a magic circle and work 6 sc in that circle.
 Join with a sl-st to the 1st sc.

From now on, we will work in back loops only or single crochet back loop only (sc-blo).  For a “How to”, please check the top of this blog.

Round 2 : 2 sc in the 1st sc-blo and in each sc all around and join with a sl-st to the 1st sc. (12 sts)

Round 3 : 2 sc-blo in the 1st sc ; (ch 1, 2 sc-blo in the next sc) ;
rep (to) all around and join with a sl-st to the 1st sc. (24 sts, 12 ch-1 sps)

Round 4 : sl-st into the 1st ch-1 sp ; dc in the ch-1 sp ;
(ch 2, sk next 2 sc ; dc in the next ch-1 sp) ;
rep (to) all around and join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

Fasten off and weave in ends.



Make 3 or 5 more pieces to make a set of 4 or 6.

Have fun creating something beautiful and hope the recipient loves it too.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own project.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/  OR just my free patterns at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/free-patterns-made-by-me/


And please join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Have a great day and see you soon. J

I have a few unusual miscellaneous stuff including doilys  already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go  J