Friday 1 January 2016

A DELICATE 3-D FLOWER KEYCHAIN

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog ; photo of the delicate 3D flower keychain
A DELICATE 3-D FLOWER KEYCHAIN

We always need a quick gift for that sudden visitor – or that young child who has done a lovely deed that you want to acknowledge.  
I always find that a homemade , recycled or a handmade gift works best and expresses more love than a store bought one.. But then, that could just be me 

As we start with this first simple pattern in this new year, let me take this opportunity to wish you and your family a very Happy New Year.. Happy  Crafting in 2016.

Thank you for joining me.
In case you have just joined me, know that you can access all of my earlier creations by checking under ‘categories’ on the right hand side of this blog under “Labels”.  Then, for your convenience, follow me here or on Facebook, You Tube, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram. Check out all my social media handles at the bottom of this blog
Oh, and may I add that the fastest way to find any of my blogs is via Pinterest.

Do remember to add my blog URL when you make and show off your creation.  Cheers.  Enjoy 


Difficulty level : Easy to Intermediate crochet skills

Materials used : Today I’ve used our Indian polyester metallic yarn,  with a 3.5 mm crochet hook ; and some stuffing

This yarn is similar to a 4-ply, light fingering yarn.
If using cotton, I’d say we can get a great project with our Indian Laura knitting cotton and a 3.5 mm crochet hook.  Anchor knitting cotton will also work, though it’s a little thinner yarn, so I’d suggest a 3 mm crochet hook.

Abbreviations used :
ch : chain             ch-sp : chain space
sp : space            rep : Repeat
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                
hdc : Half double crochet


Stitches used :
Starting slip knot : Here’s how you start with a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/lJcqsVcs8cw

Starting slip knot 1 or the Sloppy Slip knot : This is a neat new way to start your work without a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/YfC7KmGpifs


Instructions :
Please note that I start all my rows with a ch 1, turning chain for ease.
Please check the top of this blog for easy video tutorials on all stitches used in today's pattern.
Please read through all my notes before you pick up your hook, so you know just where we're heading in our pattern.
In my patterns I work with the principle of stitch count and body measurement.  This means that you need to work the stitch count in pattern, till you get the measurement (length and/or width) that you need for your project. 


I saw this picture on a Pinterest page and thought this would look lovely in 3-D.  
The 3-D only means that we’re going to make two halves to this lovely flower and stuff the two halves.
So we start with a lovely magic circle and then make the petals.
It’s just a quick four-round creation.  
We will then make another one of these and attach them together, (stuffing it inside, if needed) to give us the lovely 3D effect.  

If you wish to have the centre a little more defined (as against puffed up), then you could pass a bead through the centre, thus blinging it up and holding that centre down as well. 

I’ve decided to do the centre of the flower in one colour, and the petals in another one.  This is purely optional and does not change the pattern at all.  I will, therefore, indicate colour change, but it’s totally up to you.

Easy enough.. let’s get to it.

Magic circle : To refresh your skill, please view this easy video https://youtu.be/ISC39yOqWro

Single Crochet : Sc : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (2 lps on hk); yo, draw through both lps.  One sc made.  Check out the video at https://youtu.be/ghACqBpA-3k

First stitch for Single Crochet : This is how I like to start my row of sc. Check out the video at https://youtu.be/6pVYRfsf4_M

What is a slip stitch : Here is a neat video tutorial at https://youtu.be/weB3QNbA8Iw

Start (with color for centre of flower) : 
with a magic circle and 10 sc in that circle.
Join with a sl-st to the 1st sc.  
Pull lightly to close the circle.

Now to join this to the keychain, I’ve opted to make a chain of 15 sc, pass my thread through the chain link of the keychain, and then make another 15 sc back to the centre of the flower.

We will now work back around the flower.

Attach the second colour if desired.

Round 1 : (with color for centre of flower) : 
2 sc in the 1st sc and in each sc till end .  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

What is a chain stitch ? Here is an easy video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXx5ukBjKkY

Round 2 : (with color for centre of flower) : 
sc in the 1st sc ; 
(ch 2, sk next sc, sc in the next sc) ; 
rep (to) till end.  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

Round 3 : sl-st in the 1st ch-2 sp ; 
sc in the same ch-2 sp ; ch 7, sl-st in the sc ; 
(sc in the next ch-2 sp ; 
sc in the same ch-2 sp ; ch 7, sl-st in the sc) ; 
rep (to) in each ch-2 sp all around. 
Join with a sl-st to the 1st sc.

Triple Crochet : trc : wrap yarn twice around hook, insert hk into st ; yo (4 lps on hk); [yo, draw through 2 lps] three times.  One trc made.  
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/A0y4BbgDTbs

Half Double Crochet : Hdc :  yo, insert hk into st ; yo (3 lps on hk) ; 
yo, draw through all 3 lps.  One hdc made.  
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/sDiELJdB2Dg

Round 4 : sl-st into the 1st ch-7 sp ; 
*(sc ; 2 hdc ; 3 dc ; 1 trc ; 3 dc ; 2 hdc ; sc) all in the 1st ch-7 sp ; 
sl-st in the next sc* ; 
rep *to* all around.  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st sc.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

We’ve completed the flower.  
Now what I’ve done is make the same flower once more, and then join the petals of both the flowers together.

Now as I’ve used this lovely purse yarn, I’ve managed to get it all neat and puffy without any stuffing.  However, you could add in the stuffing in each petal and centre bit, if needed, as you are joining both of the petal ends.

Remember that we’ve made a long 15-ch yellow chain right after that first round. Now ensure when attaching the flower petals, that the chain hangs out free (as shown in the picture below).

Our lovely flower key chain is all ready to gift. 

Change the color of the centre, or the petals, and you have delightful new combinations.  

Change the petal colours on each side, and you will get a 2-in-1, 3D flower key chain.

Go ahead, have fun.. and do share it with me when you have finished your super projects.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. Come back right here for more freebie patterns

Remember to share this blog post when you share your photos with me on Facebook.  I’d love to feature your photos on my FB page.  Cheers.

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/


Join me on YouTube at https://youtube.com/shyamanivas

And on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/ for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Find me on Ravelry at ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas/


Have a great day and see you soon.