Thursday, 22 October 2015

MISCELLANEOUS BABY STUFF




MISCELLANEOUS BABY STUFF

This is a write up for a cute set of nesting baskets with an even cuter elephant motif.  I’ve used freely available patterns from the net, but I’ve had to make a few alterations to suit the requirements and custom-make it.

Materials used : Today I’ve used the lovely shiny Indian Polyester silk purse  yarn with a 4 mm crochet hook 

Skill level :  Intermediate

Abbreviations used : (Using U.S terminology)
rep : Repeat                                                            dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                

Stitches used :
Magic circle : To refresh your skill, please view this easy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row.  Do take a look at this self explanatory super video http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using the chainless dc start.

Crab stitch / Reverse single crochet : (Reverse sc) : This is your regular single crochet st, but done in reverse.  So instead of moving ‘clockwise’ as we regularly work, you move anti-clockwise or counter clockwise, and you’ll achieve a slightly ‘bumpy’ single crochet, which is your reverse sc. 


The only change that I made here was in increasing the number of rounds I had to do to get the size needed for my order(s).  
The yarn used with the original pattern also did not give me the required gauge, so that needed a small calculation and tweak.  That said, this is such an easy pattern, that it can be made in any size and looks absolutely lovely. 
I also did a round of crab stitch or reverse single crochet at the top.





The motifs are a free pattern and I found two that were cute.  One is a video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r43zbLyGew

And the one that I used is a really simple and oh, so cute written pattern http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2014/10/e-is-for-elephant-crochet-elephant.html

I made these elephants and attached them to the sides of the baskets and to give them a little ‘fullness’ (or lift?), I stuffed them with just a little bit of polyfill.


I also made a festoon or तोरण {pronounced toraN} of little elephants per order.
The only change I made with this cute motif for the festoon, is to alter the stitch size so that I got different sized little elephants and then lined them up trunk-to-tail to have them walk like the Jungle Book elephants 



Baskets in use


and the festoon up on the door to welcome the baby

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.



Have a great day and see you soon. J