Wednesday 14 October 2015

BAMBI & BUMBLE NECKWEAR


Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern dog ; dog modelling his neckwear,Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern dog ; dog modelling her neckwear,
BAMBI & BUMBLE NECKWEAR

Mumbai has humid weather through the year, but there are a few months of a cooler weather, and we too like to dress our pets up.  
Thanks to my lovely Maya (our family ‘dingo’ and the coat I’d made for her), a friend saw that I made animal wear too, and requested that I design something for her two dogs Bambi and Bumble too. 

I was told that Bambi is a cute gentle dog, and so she got a cute little floral collar, and Bumble is a bumbling rascal – so she got a red bandana

Thank you for joining me.

In case you have just joined me, know that you can access all of my earlier creations by checking under ‘categories’ on the right hand side of this blog under “Labels”.  Then, for your convenience, follow me here or on Facebook, You Tube, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.

Check out all my social media handles at the bottom of this blog

Oh, and may I add that the fastest way to find any of my blogs is via Pinterest.


All my blogs can be printed.  Find the printer friendly (green) link on the right side of this blog.  You can also hit Control P (or Command P for Mac) on your keyboard, and the blog will go directly to the connected printer.

Remember that you only print if absolutely essential.  Save paper – Save Our Earth. 


Do remember to add my blog URL when you make and show off your creation. 

Just copy the link on the search bar above - that's the blog URL.


To purchase this or similar yarn online, click the highlighted links below to buy your yarns online via Amazon.  While you will still pay the same, I may get paid by Amazon as well. 

This is a free blog - so do pay it forward for me.  Cheers.



Materials used : Today I’ve used some of our lovely Indian Anchor knitting cotton yarn with a 3 mm crochet hook ; a little embroidery thread ; embroidery needle sewing needle ; fabric glue to seal ends ; crochet stitch markers ; beads n more

For Indians You could use Red rose , 4-ply knitting cotton , or unbranded knitting cotton or White Rose or bamboo knitting cotton , Milk cotton ; Silk yarns as well as Oswal or Vardhaman acrylic yarns ; Baby soft acrylic yarn , Ganga Spectrum as well

General yarn info : The yarn used today is not specific to this pattern.
You can use any yarn with a suitable hook to make this project to any size.
     
International yarns :  Among the international yarns I have used in this thickness, I’d suggest Aunt Lydia Cotton 10, Aunt Lydia Bamboo-Viscose 10, DMC Petra, Sullivans knitting cotton (Australia), Milford Soft, Hilaza Rustica Eclat , Alize cotton yarn and Alize bamboo yarn , Lily Sugar n' Cream cotton yarn, Caron Simply Soft , Bernat Softee chunky.


Difficulty level : Easy to Intermediate


Stitches used :
Starting slip knot : https://youtu.be/lJcqsVcs8cw

Starting slip knot 1 or the Sloppy Slip knot :  https://youtu.be/YfC7KmGpifs

What is a slip stitch :  https://youtu.be/weB3QNbA8Iw

What is a chain stitch ?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXx5ukBjKkY


Foundation double crochet (fdc) : This is a unique way of starting a project directly with a row of double crochet stitches.  Here is an easy video tutorial https://youtu.be/hjNUYVvyU9k

Double Crochet : dc : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (3 lps on hk);
[yo, draw through 2 lps] twice.  One dc made. 
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/xdnjB27zpYo

Chainless start for Double Crochet : I dislike the ch-2 / ch – 3 start, and this is what I do to start my row of dc.
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/wskv3iTjRx0

Front Post Double Crochet : fpdc : Post stitches are stitches worked around the post of a stitch of the row below. 
How to work the fpdc :  yo, hk into sp between posts of st from row below – going from back of stitch, around st and into the front of the st ; yo, pull yarn through the sps (3 lps on hk), (yo & pull through 2 lps) twice.  One fpdc complete 
View the video at https://youtu.be/9tL5XiqKi14

Front Post Double Crochet 2-together : fpdc 2-tog : Post stitches are stitches worked around the post of a stitch of the row below. 
This is the fpdc stitch worked over 2 stitches together.  View the video at https://youtu.be/Kljuw4dnDzI


Back Post Double Crochet : bpdc : Post stitches are stitches worked around the post of a stitch of the row below.  Here is an easy video tutorial for the bpdc at https://youtu.be/l9Nt3miOs3s


Abbreviations used :
lp(s) : Loop(s)                  sc : Single crochet
dc : Double crochet         sp : Space                                 
sl-st : Slip stitch               ch : Chain
st(s) : Stitch(es)               hk : Hook
yo : Yarn Over                                              
fdc : Foundation Double Crochet
trc : Treble / Triple crochet    
fpdc : Front post double crochet
bpdc : Back post double crochet
fpdc 2-tog :  Front post double crochet 2-together          


BUMBLE’S BANDANA
Please note that I start all my rows with a ch 1, turning chain for ease.
Please check the top of this blog for easy video tutorials on all stitches used in today's pattern.
Please read through all my notes before you pick up your hook, so you know just where we're heading in our pattern.
In my patterns I work with the principle of stitch count and body measurement.  This means that you need to work the stitch count in pattern, till you get the measurement (length and/or width) that you need for your project. 

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern dog ; photo of the bandana in red,

We thought Bumble would look just right with a bandana – as she’s one rascal of a dog.. and this would give her just that *perfect* look 

I decided to use the first few rows of the Centenarian scarf that I recently made.

So depending on how deep a “V” you’d like work the pattern and have fun.

So I’ve played with the stitches, and changed the dc for an hdc on some rows, as I am only going to work till I have a “V” that’s about 6.5”. 
I have worked till Row 10, and then done the finishing with the picot for a ‘ta-da’ finish.
Fasten off and weave in ends.

Final touch : For ease of attachment, I thought I’d do a ‘collar-like’ end to the front of the scarf / bandana.

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog ; photo showing stitch detail for the bandana

For this, I’ve re-attached my yarn at one of the corners of the bandana, and then done one sc neatly down the flat edge of the bandana.  This is the edge that will go around the neck / collar of the dog.
I have then done a hdc in each st all the way back to the end, and repeated this for 3 rows (about 1/2”) so that I have this neat collar-like end.


Finishing :
On the final row of hdc, I’ve added a row of loops so that the dog’s collar can be threaded into the bandana.  It would probably look cute if it went all the way around the neck and was tied as a bow at the lower end, and you could do that if your pet will not chew that bit to pieces.  Bumble, hmm.. not sure how happy she’ll be with something distracting her under her chin, so I’ve opted out of that.

Right, so the loops : So I made these chains from that final hdc row, and then sl-st into a st that was about 1.5” from the row I’m working on, along the back of the bandana, in such a way that my chains were flat.  This loop needs to be wider than the collar width. 

So in the rough diagram below, the brown triangle is our bandana, the white rectangle above is the little collar strip we’ve just made with the hdcs, and the green little rectangles are our loops. 

Loop : Hdc in the 1st st ; *(ch 10, sl-st into the st about 1.25” away on the bandana ; sc or hdc in each st back to the top) ; hdc in the next 10 hdc* ; rep *to* all the way till the end of your collar.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

I love the way my bandana has turned out, and can’t wait to see it on Bumble.  Hope you like yours as well.


 BAMBI’S COLLAR

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog ; photo showing the floral dog collar

Bambi is a Great Dane, and a majestically beautiful animal.  My client said a floral collar would suit her better, so here’s what I’ve created for Bambi.
Before we head off to the pattern, let’s talk about it. 
So there are two elements to this collar.  
One is the basic collar that will go around the neck with the loops under (so that you can weave in the dog’s collar into this showy one), and then there are the flowers.

I’ve decided to make a rose and um lets see what else…

For the collar piece :

Row 1 : Start with 9 fdc (which is just about 2”).

Row 2 : dc in the 1st fdc  and each fdc till end. Turn.

Row 3 : dc in the 1st dc  ;  ch 7, dc in the last dc. Turn.

Row 4 : dc in the 1st dc  ; dc in the next 7 ch ; dc in the next dc. Turn.

Row 5 : Rep Row 3

Row 6 : Rep Row 4

Row 7 – 10 : dc in the 1st dc and each dc till end. Turn.

Row 11 - 22 : Rep (Rows 5 to 10) 2 times

Rep (Rows 3 and 4) 2 times.

Rep Row 3 once.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog ; photo showing attachment on the floral collar,


ROSE FLOWER MOTIF

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog ; photo showing a rose flower motifSweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog ; photo showing another angle for the rose motif

Start with 36 ch.

In the following row, we’ll use a Small Shell st which is (dc ; ch 2, dc) all in the same ch-2 sp.

Row 1 : dc in the 6th ch from hk ;   
*ch 1, sk next 2 ch, Small Shell st in the next st* ; 
rep *to* till end. Turn.

In the following row, we’ll use a Medium Shell st which is 9 dc all in the same ch-2 sp.

Row 2 : dc in the 1st dc ;  
sk next dc , Medium Shell st in the next ch-2 sp ; 
*ch 2, sk next dc , Medium Shell st in the next ch-2 sp* ; 
rep *to* till end ; 
dc in the last dc.  Turn.

In the following row, we’ll use a Large Shell st which is (2 dc ; ch 2, 2 dc) all in the same st.

Row 3 : dc in the 1st dc ;  
sk next 2 dc , 6 dc in the next ch-2 sp ; 
sc in the next ch-2 sp , sk next 2 dc ; 7 dc in the next ch-2 sp ; 
* sc in the next ch-2 sp , 
sk next 2 dc ; Large Shell st in the next ch-2 sp* ; 
rep *to* till end ; 
dc in the last dc.  Turn.


Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog ; photo showing the strip lace before making into rose motif


Finishing : Keeping this rose rows flat, start rolling this strip from the end till it becomes a little flower.  
Sew the flower from the bottom, and voila! 
See the flower emerge.

Fasten off and weave in ends.


DAISY FLOWER MOTIF

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog ; photo showing detail of the daisy flower motif

Let’s make a cute five petal daisy.

Start (Using yellow or orange) with a magic circle and 15 sc in the circle.  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st sc.   

Attach the white and fasten off the yellow or orange.
We use the trc st in the next round.

Round 1 : (Using white) : *ch 4, trc in the next 2 sc ;  
ch 4, sc in the next sc* ;
rep *to* till end.
Fasten off and leave a long tail to attach.


FLOWER 3 MOTIF

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog ; photo showing detail for the flower motif


I’m not sure what flower this is meant to be, but I quite like how it looks.. so Bambi gets this on her collar.

Start with a magic circle and 16 sc in the circle.  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

Round 1 : dc in the 1st sc ; 
*ch 3, sk next sc ; dc in the next sc*  ;
rep *to* till end. 
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

For convenience, let me make the next set of stitches into a shell pattern.
So our shell st for the next round is (sc , hdc , 5 dc , hdc , sc) all in the same ch-3 sp.

Round 2 : sl-st in the 1st ch-3 sp ; 
Shell st in the same ch-3 sp  ; 
Shell st in each ch-3 sp all around.
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

In the following round, we work an sc in between the shells.  
Now if you look at Round 2, we have 2 sc, so it doesn’t really matter which sc you choose for the Round 3 joining, or if you use the sp between the 2 sc’s – as long as you use the same st (i.e 1st sc all through or 2nd sc all through) for uniformity.

Round 3 : sc in the 1st st ; 
*ch 7, sk Shell st , sc in the next sc* ;
Rep *to* all around.  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

Once again for convenience, let me make the next set of stitches into a shell pattern.
So our shell st for the next round is (sc , hdc , 6 dc , hdc , sc) all in the same ch-3 sp.

Round 4 : sl-st in the 1st ch-7 sp ; 
Shell st in the same ch-7 sp  ; 
Shell st in each ch-7 sp all around.
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

To join this flower, I’ve attached it first around that 1st magic circle round, and then scrunched up the next rounds by passing my needle (and thread) through the next round of dc’s. Oh, and I added a small pearl bead in the centre too, and I love the way it’s peeping out through the folds of this lovely red scrunched up flower.



Finishing :
I’ve decided to place my three flowers off centre to give Bambi a nice cocky look that matches her personality.  
Go ahead and attach your flowers to your belt. 
When you’re ready to show this off, thread the existing pet belt through the openings you’ve made on this crochet belt and ta da, you have oomphed up the ‘old’ one !

Sweet Nothings Crochet free crochet pattern blog ; photo showing detail of all flowers on the floral neckwear

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. Come back right here for more freebie patterns

Remember to share this blog post when you share your photos with me on Facebook.  I’d love to feature your photos on my FB page.  Cheers.

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  
 
I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/

 
Join me on YouTube at https://youtube.com/shyamanivas 

And on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/ for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Find me on Ravelry at ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas/

Have a great day and see you soon. 

I’ve made one other thing for a pet that I’ve written up about.. so for a quick dekho of that here’s that link.  This link has a blanket as well as kitten  toys.





 


.. and some more neckwear patterns ...

Here are some of my earlier neckwear creations.