Wednesday, 16 December 2015

KAVI’s COWL


KAVI’s  COWL

I was gifted this really soft baby wool a few days back, and remembered a scarf on my to-do list that I thought would be perfect for it.  The scarf, though, is made in either a self striped yarn, or the designer has taken the trouble to work a really wonderful mix of colours.  This is the scarf that inspired me to make my cowl


My yarn is a light speckled blue and oooh, so soft, that I am hoping the end result will be as lovely as it looks in my mind.

The pattern that I’m using has a web page link magiadocrochet.blogspot.com, which is a picture tutorial .. so these are my notes as I work my own scarf. 

Materials used : Today I’ve used this really lovely Kiddies (Cygnet) Super Soft double knit Kaleidoscope acrylic yarn (Shade 255 – Dolly mixture), with a 4.5 mm crochet hook.

After completing my scarf, I feel that a lighter weight yarn will show this intricate pattern detail a lot better and while this scarf is oh, so soft and lovely, I think I may repeat this once again in a thinner ply , self-striping or variegated yarn.

Abbreviations used :
ch : chain                                                       ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                       rep : Repeat
sc : Single crochet

Stitches used :
fdc : Foundation Double Crochet : This is a unique way of starting a project directly with a row of double crochet stitches.  This makes your whole project neat and even..in a way that you need to do once, to agree!  If you are familiar with fsc, you’ll wonder why you never used this start before !


Instructions : (Using U.S terminology)

This is a neat straight forward pattern.  We will start with the foundation double crochet mainly because it give us a neat even start, and we will then end with a dc row. 
Now after working one pattern repeat, I found that this was way too ‘holey’ for me, so I’ve used an hdc all through (substituting a dc /  dc 2-tog for hdc / hdc 2-tog).

Our pattern repeat is 2 + 1

Start : with fdc in multiples of 2 + 1
(I started with 23 fdc = ~ 6” )

Row 1 : dc in the 1st dc ; (ch 1, sk next dc, dc in the next dc) ; rep (to) till end.  Turn.


In the following row we work a “V”-st and a dc 2-tog .
Our “V”-st is (dc ; ch 1, dc) in the same st or ch-sp
Our dc 2-tog is worked over 2 sts and a ch-sp . So the 1st leg of the dc 2-tog is in one dc, sk the ch-sp and the 2nd leg of the same dc 2-tog is in the next dc.

Row 2 : dc in the 1st dc ; “V”-st in the next dc ; *(ch 1, dc 2-tog over the next 2 dc skipping the ch-sp in between) ; ch 1, “V”-st in the next dc* ;
rep *to* till the 2nd last dc ; dc in the last dc.  Turn.

Note : So at the end of this row, you should have a “V”-st, followed by an ‘inverted “V”-st, alternating all the way to the end, ending with a “V”-st.


Row 3 : dc in the 1st dc ; (dc in the next dc ; ch 1, dc in the next dc) ; *ch 5, sk next dc 2-tog, rep (to) once* ; rep *to* till last dc ; dc in the last dc.  Turn.


Row 4 : dc in the 1st dc ; ch 1, (dc 2-tog over the next 2 dc, skipping the ch-sp in between) ; *ch 1, “V”-st in the next ch-5 sp ; ch 1, rep (to) once* ; rep *to* till the last dc ; ch 1, dc in the last dc.  Turn.


Row 5 : dc in the 1st dc ; *ch 5, sk next dc 2-tog, (dc in the next dc ; ch 1, dc in the next dc)* ; rep *to* till last dc 2-tog ; ch 5, sk last dc 2-tog, dc in the last dc.  Turn.


Row 6 : dc in the 1st dc ; “V”-st in the next ch-5 sp ; *(ch 1, dc 2-tog over the next 2 dc skipping the ch-sp in between) ; ch 1, “V”-st in the next ch-5 sp* ;
rep *to* till the last dc ; dc in the last dc.  Turn.


And just like that we’ve completed one pattern repeat.
Rep Rows 3 – 6 till your scarf is of the length you desire.




To finish off, dc in the 1st dc and in each st and ch-sp till end, ensuring that you have the same number of stitches as your first start row.


Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for freebie patterns.. and/or some wonderful crochet inspiration.    J

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  


Have a great day and see you soon. J

I have other neckwear that I’ve made.