Friday, 5 August 2016

TWO REALLY CUTE HEADBANDS

TWO REALLY CUTE HEADBANDS

I just made a few young girl dresses and as a ‘bonus’ have added a little headband in the parcel.. anything to get my little client(s) to smile. J

I decided to make a plain band and then decorate it with a flower and a butterfly. 
I was inspired by this cute butterfly, which is a free pattern from http://crochetzone.com/2015/03/23/free-crochet-pattern-for-butterflies/

AND I used the same pattern for the flower – well, the first part of the pattern made my lil flower.  Awesome ain’t it?

Materials usedToday I’ve used a small amount of Indian Oswal Cashmilon acrylic with a 3 mm crochet hook ;

Difficulty level : Easy to Intermediate Skill level. 

Stitches used :
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual dc row start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row. Do take a look at this self explanatory video at http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/ .  In case you are unhappy with this start, do continue with the usual ch 2 or ch 3 start.  However, all instructions are given assuming that you’re using this chainless dc start. 

Here is a sizing chart for general head sizing : https://in.pinterest.com/pin/470063279837764548/
 
How to join the two ends of your work : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUGb9pIcsXE

Abbreviations used :

fsc : Foundation single crochet                                   ch : Chain
dc : Double crochet                                               sp(s) : Space(s)
st(s) : Stitch(es)                                                         hk : Hook
lp : Loop(s)                                                                 yo : Yarn Over
sk : Skip                                                                       sc : Single crochet
trc : Treble / Triple crochet                               e-sc : Extended single crochet

So before we set off on our new creative journey, let’s take a quick look at what we’re creating here today. For convenience, I am dividing our work into two parts.  

Part 1 is the headband that makes the base. For this all you need to know is the circumference of the head of the child you’re making this for.

Part 2 is the embellishment, which will be the flower and a butterfly.

Let’s go ahead and create.

Part I : Headband

 Using hdc
 
Using sc

The choice of stitch is totally up to you.  As we’re making this little headband for a little person, I’d suggest we keep the stitches little too.. which is why I am writing sc in each stitch.

That said, you could use an e-sc (extended sc), hdc (half double crochet) or dc in each st all through too.  

If you decide to use a different stitch from that mentioned, do remember to keep the ch-sps and rest of the ‘pattern’ intact.

Start:  with 9 fsc (which is about 1.5” for me) or as many odd number of stitches you desire for the width you want for your headband.

Row 1 : sc in the 1st fsc ; 
*ch 1, sk next fsc, sc in the next fsc* ; 
rep *to* till end.  Turn.

Row 2 : sc in the 1st sc ; 
*sc in the next ch-1 sp ; sc in the next sc* ; 
rep *to* till end. Turn.

Row 3 : sc in the 1st sc ; 
*ch 1, sk next sc, sc in the next sc* ; 
rep *to* till end.  Turn.

Rep Rows 2 & 3 till your headband is of the length you require.

Take a quick look at the chart given above for the rough estimate of head circumferences, if you don’t have a ready-reference of the head of the kid you’re making this for J

Once you’ve got the length / circumference needed, attach the two ends and you’re ready to add your embellishment.


Part 2 : The embellishments


Butterfly instructions :







The link is basically for the butterfly, but for the flower I’ve tweaked it just a bit.



Flower instructions :








For the flower, I’ve used the same butterfly pattern till Round 3.  

Then instead of folding in half and making that butterfly, I just added a pearl bead in that centre hole, and attached it to the headband.

Fasten off and weave in ends.. and Voila ! Yet another beautiful creation made for your young lady.

Ta da.. isn’t this just beautiful ?? J

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/  or just my free patterns at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/free-patterns-made-by-me/


And please join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Have a great day and see you soon. J


I have a few headwear pieces already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go  J