Saturday, 4 February 2017

A DIAMOND AND A HONEYCOMB UNISEX BEANIE


free crochet pattern, diamond beanie, honeycomb beanie, crochet beanie

A DIAMOND AND A HONEYCOMB  UNISEX BEANIE 


#Blogaday  35/365

Early in the New Year, it seems like I’ve gone on a headwear binge.  I am sure you have seen my earlier blog on three pony tail caps and if you missed any of them, then do check the link right at the bottom of this blog for the messy bun caps  as well as many many more beanies and headwear.  

This diamond beanie is for my sister-in-law in her favourite colour, and as I love working with post stitch patterns, I'm gonna enjoy creating this one … so I think we’re on a winning streak here.

So after having worked on the first one (from the free pattern), I thought of a small tweak to the same pattern – and got a pretty awesome end product … again!

Thank you for joining me as we work on this lovely free pattern together.

Materials used : Today I’ve used our lovely Indian Oswal Cashmilon 4-ply yarn with a 4 mm crochet

Abbreviations used :
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                 dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                                    ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                    rep : Repeat
fpdc : Front Post Double Crochet


Stitches used :
Magic circle : To refresh your skill, please view this easy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row.  Do take a look at this self-explanatory super video http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using the chainless dc start.

Here is a sizing chart for general head sizing : https://in.pinterest.com/pin/470063279837764548/
 
How to join the two ends of your work : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUGb9pIcsXE


Instructions : (Using U.S terminology)

Pattern # 1

free crochet pattern, diamond beanie, honeycomb beanie, crochet beanie

free crochet beanie pattern


For this stunning pattern, I have used the brilliant free pattern from Kristy Ashmore at http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/diamond-ridges


For this pattern, I’ve used our Indian Oswal Cashmilon 4-ply acrylic with a 4 mm crochet hook. 

The pattern almost wholly uses front post double crochet stitches, which is what gives it that raised effect.  We start with the crown and work our way down to the base or forehead of our cap.







While I do not want to detract from the pattern painstakingly written by the designer, I would like to add a few points
a)   This is an Advanced skill pattern
b)   Cluster Stitch : This is basically a front post double crochet 2 –tog worked over two fpdc across the stitches in the middle.  So what does this mean?  To get the raised diamond pattern, we are working the fpdc 2-tog, and then we work dc in the space between two fpdc 2-tog sts.  In Round 5, we will start the creation of our first diamond, by using these fpdc 2-tog sts and this is a critical round – so do follow along with the photo tutorial given
c)     In the following rows, you just need to visualize how you’re getting your diamonds, and then work with the pattern and the part photo tutorial.

I love the effect of the raised post stitches, and in this pattern, the honeycomb effect is prominent because of the dc that we work in between two pairs of fpdc 2-tog sets.

For the final finish, I worked a round of of reverse single crochet (or crab stitch) to end up my beanie.

If you want to work the crab stitch, check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE-ObvYb_Pk

Pattern # 2

free crochet beanie pattern

free crochet beanie pattern

free crochet beanie pattern

For this stunning pattern too, I have used the basic idea from the brilliant free pattern from Kristy Ashmore above.  I’ve made a slight difference in how I have used the Cluster stitch or the fpdc 2-tog.
Now usually when you work the fpdc 2-tog, you get a “V” stitch at the end, and when you need to work the 2-tog, you will work around the top of the “V”-st of two stitches that are adjacent to one another, correct?

So for this second pattern, instead of going to the top of the “V”-st , I chose to go around the two ‘legs’ / posts of the fpdc adjacent to one another.

So instead of a sharp “V” on “V”, you get this lovely honeycomb effect.  

(Check the graph under the photos)



 So with one pattern, you get a diamond effect, and with this other one you will get the honeycomb effect.

A neat 2-in-1 idea with one pattern.. neat huh?



Have fun creating something beautiful and hope the recipient loves it too.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own baby dress.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/  OR just my free patterns at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/free-patterns-made-by-me/


And please join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Have a great day and see you soon. J

I have a few pieces of headwear already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go  J