Monday, 29 August 2016

GLOWING TAM CAP


free crochet pattern, free crochet tam cap, free crochet beanie pattern,free crochet pattern, free crochet tam cap, free crochet beanie pattern,

GLOWING TAM CAP

I was recently gifted this awesome yarn, but just one skein of it. It’s so soft, but thickish and not sufficient for anything but a smallish project.. hence a tam / cap seemed perfect.   

Materials used : Today I’ve used the lovely 08 Purple Multi Yarn Bee Glowing Yarn acrylic yarn, with a 6.5 mm (K) & a 5.5 mm (I) crochet hook.


For Indians : This yarn is about double the thickness of our Oswal 4-ply or Vardhaman Milennium yarn.  So I’d suggest using two (or 3?) strands to get the bulky look as well as the neat knotted pattern that the designer has created.  If using 3 strands, you could probably go with the hooks that are suggested as well on the design. 

Skill level : Easy to Intermediate.  

Stitches used :
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

fdc : Foundation Double Crochet : This is a unique way of starting a project directly with a row of double crochet stitches.  This makes your whole project neat and even.. in a way that you need to do once, to agree!  If you are familiar with fsc, you’ll wonder why you never used this start before !

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3,I’d like to introduce a lovely way of starting a double crochet row.  Do take a look at this self explanatory super video
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using this chainless dc start.


OR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBYfdRgy5II
OR http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-join-crochet-seams-with-whipstitch.html

Standard chart for head size :  https://in.pinterest.com/pin/470063279839058772/


Abbreviations used :
lp(s) : Loop(s)                                                  sc : Single crochet
dc : Double crochet                                     ch : Chain
sp : Space                                                         sl-st : Slip stitch
hk : Hook                                                         yo : Yarn Over 
st(s) : Stitch(es)                                              hdc : Half Double Crochet
                                                 

This pattern is written using U.S terminology. 

This FREE pattern is well written and easy to follow.  I have only made a few changes, and these are mainly as my yarn is not of the size specified and I do not mean to detract from the awesome pattern by the designer – just making my notes for what I’m doing. Check the link just below my notes and if using the yarn(s) specified, then you can go ahead without my tweaks. Cheers

The yarn I’m using needs a 5.5 mm (I) hook. 
I’ve decided to use a 6.5 mm (K) hook for this project, and it has given it a neat stretch loose look that I like.  However, to obtain gauge and size, I’ve had to tweak it a bit.

1.       The front band bit is 6 rows of sc.  So if using any other yarn /hook than that written in pattern, here’s what I suggest.  The project size has been given as 10.5” from crown to forehead – so check what width you will get (for that front band) using the pattern from Rows 45 – 51. 


2.     Figure out your gauge – to see how many inches you are getting per sc and compare with the gauge given by the designer
3.     Deduct the width of this front band and then work as many starting chain or fsc as needed for the top of your slouchy / tam to get approx. 10.5”

Ok now here’s what I’ve done



1.       I started with 22 fsc and a K hook.
2.     I did that first set of (sc + hdc) in the 2nd fsc, skipping the 1st.  I chose to do a (sc + hdc) as with the yarn & hook I’m using a dc was just not looking bulky enough for me. I liked the chunky look that the (sc + hdc) gave me.
3.     I am not sure if this is what the designer means in the ‘third loop’, but its like a back loop only, but in the loop beyond the back loop.. which is something I’ve done before (by mistake discovering the joy of that flat chain row that shows up) ..and just a few days back, I heard that this stitch has a name!  This is called Camel Stitch.
4.     If you are using a yarn other than that specified (in weight or type), then you will need to figure out the gauge yourself.  So the 1st 5 rows make up the width of your tam/cap.  The designer has said 44 rows, which is 8 repeats + Rows 1 – 4 once more.  See how many inches you get in one pattern repeat, and then work as many repeats as needed, ending with a Row 4.




free crochet pattern, free crochet tam cap, free crochet beanie pattern,


Now that you’re done reading my tweaks and notes, please go through them and then I’ll leave you to get to the pattern by the designer at http://littlemonkeyscrochet.com/rustic-slouch-crochet-pattern/

Enjoyed this.. do check out the Ravellenics 2016 games on Ravelry – just a fun game coinciding with the Olympics Games in Rio.. so do come along and join in.. have fun, creating, crafting and winning medals too…or just to cheer the participants along.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  


Have a great day and see you soon. :)

Check out some of my earlier head wear projects