Saturday, 13 August 2016

MY CROCHET LEGO BRICKS BAG


MY CROCHET LEGO BRICKS BAG

If you’re following my blog, you’ll know that some days back I chanced on someone selling some simple bags, and I bought a few just for kicks.. and then decided to ‘up-cycle’ and jazz them up.  I gave the first one to my friend, who travels a lot, and she totally loves it – so I thought I would carry on with the others I have purchased too (else they *could* have joined some of that stash lying way way way back in my cupboard.. you *know* what I mean, right  :) )

So let’s have fun as we work on this creation… and if you like this idea, do keep an eye out for further such jazzed up toilet bag ideas .. I do have a few more we purchased from that day ;)

Ooh, and as the Ravellenics Games are on, this qualifies for one of the categories .. yaay.. (You have heard about the parallel games going on at the time of the Olympics 2016 on the Ravelry page – haven’t you? 
Visit http://www.ravelry.com/groups/ravellenic-games-2016 to check this out and cheer us Ravatheletes along)

For my earlier pattern on the Bag D-I-Y, check https://shyamanivas.blogspot.in/2016/07/jazzed-up-toiletries-bag.html

For different sizes of the Lego brick pattern, visit https://shyamanivas.blogspot.in/2015/04/a-superb-lego-bricks-blanket.html

For my tweaks and notes on the original Lego brick pattern, visit https://shyamanivas.blogspot.in/2015/04/a-superb-lego-bricks-blanket.html
  
So I made a few Lego bricks, attached them and then attached it to the ready bag.  So come along and let’s see what we’re working on today.

Materials used : Indian Vardhaman Millenium DK acrylic yarn ; Oswal 4-ply Acrylic yarn, with a 4 mm crochet hook ; Embroidery and sewing needles ; and a ready-made bag with a zipper (if you are doing this D.I.Y bag) ;
Optional : Water Insoluble Glue.

Skill level : Easy to Intermediate.
While the stitches used are easy enough, there is a fair amount of thought that goes into this creation.

Stitches used :
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

How to join sides of the bag with single crochet : Check the links below :

How to join sides of the bag with whip stich : Check the links below :

How to line your bag : Check this link below

How to attach a zipper on your bag : Two self-explanatory links for you here http://www.liz-makes.com/2014/01/liz-makes-crocheted-clutch-with-zipper.html?m=1rochet

How to make a rounded cord for the handle : View the video link below for a really simple way to make a rounded cord handle for your handbag.  http://vimeo.com/88972371

How to make an I-cord : A neat way to make an I-cord in this video by June at http://www.planetjune.com/blog/how-to-crochet-an-i-cord/


Abbreviations used : Using U.S terminology
lp(s) : Loop(s)                                                                  sc : Single crochet
dc : Double crochet                                                      ch : Chain
sp : Space                                                                           sl-st : Slip stitch
st(s) : Stitch(es)                                                                hk : Hook
yo : Yarn Over                                                                fsc : Foundation Single Crochet
fdc : Foundation Double Crochet                         dc 2-tog : Double crochet 2-together

                                                           
As I mentioned above, I have decided just to jazz up a bag and have a ready-made inner bag with zip.  However, if you decide to work this pattern up for a bag, without an readymade inner, then there are links above on how to line your bag and attach a zipper as well.

My bag is 10.5 x 5”.
We will make a few Lego bricks (from the patterns at one of the two links below).  
So first decide on how many bricks you want ; make them and then join them all up.  If it fits your bag, then yaay! You’re done. If not, then you will just increase a little on each side till you have it fitted to the size of the bag you have ready.


I decided to start with four 'regular' 4 x 2 Lego bricks and then thought I’d make two more in the (board) green colour in 4 x 1 on each side.  This was a perfect fit but I then decided to change it a bit and work plain green sides just to allow the four centre bricks to really show through.  I also decided to leave the back plain and worked all dc (starting with a fdc chain first) till I got the same length/width for the green flat piece as well. I then went ahead and worked my finishing.








Oh, you could work the same four or six Lego bricks for the back as well – go ahead and have fun creating and mixing the lovely colours up.

Do check through the various jazzed up bag ideas to see which one suits you best.. else just go ahead and create your own new one. Have fun.

Finishing
1.       I first joined the sides, using an embroidery needle and yarn.
2.      I then put my toilet bag on the inner side of the sewn edge, such that we now have the right side of the work facing outside, and the toilet ready-made bag on the inside. I then attached one side to the bag with a regular needle and thread (as the embroidery needle and this acrylic yarn will make very large holes, so ensure you use a thinner needle and regular sewing yarn).  So slip your needle inside the bag, and sew through the bag and the crochet side, securing them both together. Fasten off when you reach from one end to the other.
3.      I then continued with my embroidery needle and yarn, working on the crochet rectangle, down the longer edge and joined all the way to the end, ensuring I have a neat first corner.
4.      I turned around at my second corner, once again ensuring I had a neat corner, and worked down the side.
5.      Once again, I joined the bag working from the inside as before, and worked a line of stitching down this side as well, securing the crochet work to the inner bag.
6.      With three sides sewn and the bag now neatly inside, I decided to use a little of my water insoluble (very important) glue – securing the centre of my crochet neatly onto the centre of the plastic bag.  As mentioned before, glue is optional, so you don’t need to do it.. but I just want my work to be neat and tight. Remember you cannot use a hot glue gun as the inside bag is plastic – and if you use glue that is not water insoluble, then you are defeating the purpose of gluing it down.. This is, after all, a toilet bag, and water and bathrooms .. ummmmm!
7.      The final sewing is to secure the top of our crochet work to the top of the bag – and this once again, I did with a regular sewing needle and thread.
8.      Fasten off and ensure there are no peeping ends.

Ta da.. you’re done.  Now come on.. show off your color combination and creation on Facebook, and do remember to tell the world who took you on this crazy journey.
If you’ve liked this pattern, I appreciate if you could share my blog when you make your creation

Please also remember to credit the original designer for the original Lego brick creation. Thank you.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more free patterns. :)

If you're visiting me here for the first time, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  
I’d also appreciate if you could credit this blog when you complete your project.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/  or just my free patterns at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/free-patterns-made-by-me/


Have a great day and see you soon. :)

You may want to take a look at some more beautiful and unusual bag / purse patterns.