Google+ Followers

Thursday, 25 June 2015

REALLY QUICK TABLET OR I-PAD COVER


REALLY QUICK TABLET OR I-PAD COVER

This is a really quick and easy project that can be made for a tablet, I-pad or a mobile phone.

Materials used : Indian Polyester cone yarn with a 3.5 mm crochet hook.
This will be superb with our Indian Laura cotton and a 3.5 – 4 mm crochet hook too.

Difficulty level : Easy to intermediate skill level

Stitches used :

fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

Extended Single Crochet (e-sc) : hk into st, yo (2 lps on hk), pull through one lp, yo (2 lps on hk),pull through both lps.  One e-sc made. (An e-sc is basically an sc on an sc)

Instead of the sc in each sc all through, I decided to do the Linen stitch – and if you’re wondering what that is, here’s a video link to ease you through it.


The beauty of this pattern is that you could work with either an sc or an e-sc.  I love the e-sc and that is what I’ve used.  The link for the linen stitch uses sc, so all I’ve done is replace the stitch but follow the same instructions for linen stitch.

The pattern also shows through a lot better due to the use of multiple colours – so now you know the trick for my lovely creation.. tee hee.

Start with fsc in an even number of stitches (depending on the width you want for your project).  Join with a sl-st to the 1st fsc.

Round 1 : In this first round, we will work first as we usually do on the top of the fsc, and then when we reach the end we will TURN 90°, and work 3 sc in that last st, then we will TURN 90° again and work at the bottom of our fsc row , and then TURN 90° one last time to work 3 sc in that 1st st – so from this row on, we will work in rounds.  Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

Round 2 : sc in the 1st sc ; *ch 1, sk next sc, sc in the next sc* ; rep *to* till end all around.  Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

Round 3 : sl-st in the 1st ch-sp, sc in that same 1st ch-sp ; *ch 1, sk next sc, sc in the next ch-sp* ; rep *to* till end all around.  Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

Rep Rounds 3, for about 1.5 – 2”

Then with a contrast colour (just so that the hard work shows) work one round of the altearnate Long or Spike stitches.  I worked this to with the e-sc.  Now the long stitch is the same as the regular sc or e-sc, but we work in the stitch one row below, which gives it the longer look. 
So what I’ve done here is work one long /spike stitch, followed by a regular sc or e-sc, so there is an up-n-down look to the stitch in this round.  Add a colour to this and you have an interesting stitch in this row. 



The following row is a linen stitch round, followed yet again with a contrast colour long / spike stitch round.

So playing with these combination of stitches and coloured yarn have fun creating a lovely pattern.

I ensured that the top of my cover was just a little bit more than the length of the tablet – remembering that the yarn has a little stretch and will add a little bit more over use.

For the button closure I decided to sl-st to the centre of the round, and then I worked a long chain (18 ch). I then skipped the first 5 ch (which will make my button loop) and then did a sl-st in each ch all the way back to the 1st st.  Fasten off and weave in ends.  All we now need to do is add in that button, slip in the precious tablet or I-pad and we’ve got a lovely secure hand made gift for someone you love.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns J
I'd love if you could credit my blog when you make your own project.  Thanks.

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  


Have a great day and see you soon. J

People who liked this pattern also looked at these beautiful and unusual bag / purse patterns.