Sunday, 11 January 2015

RIBBON BRAID CLUTCH

free crochet clutch purse patternfree crochet clutch purse pattern
 

RIBBON BRAID CLUTCH


I thought I’d make a clutches /bag or two to take as gifts in my upcoming trip, I find that this is so much fun and quick that I’ve decided to go through my yarn and to-do list.  This is a really easy pattern for a clutch purse and the pattern is so good that I think it can be used for a scarf and shawl as well.. but that’s for another day.

This is not my original pattern  and it’s just one of those wonderful free floating freebies over the net.  I am, as usual, writing down my notes, and am sharing them with you. J


Materials used : Polyester silk purse yarn in cones  ~ one cone , with a 4 mm crochet hook

Stitches used :

fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3,I’d like to introduce a lovely way of starting a double crochet row.  Do take a look at this self explanatory super video
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using this chainless dc start.

While I’ve taken the easy way out in finishing the bag with lining and zipper, giving it to a professional Mr. Suresh (available at +91 91675 76825).

In case you decide to line it yourself, here’s a lovely link on how to line your bag : http://pattern-paradise.com/2014/06/12/tutorial-how-to-line-a-crocheted-bag/


Abbreviations used :
lp(s) : Loop(s)                                                               sc : Single crochet
dc : Double crochet                                                   sp : Space                                           
sl-st : Slip stitch                                                             fsc : Foundation Single Crochet
st(s) : Stitch(es)                                                            hk : Hook
yo : Yarn Over                                                             ch : Chain


Instructions : (Using U.S terminology)
We start our clutch purse at the top and are working along the length of our clutch – i.e the number of stitches you start with will determine the length you want.  
We will then work across side to side till we achieve the width (or height) of clutch purse we desire.
Now this pattern has no chart – but it’s an easy enough one to follow without – sc rows followed by one shell row.. so let’s start.

By working first on the width and then on the length, using this same pattern, you will get a different end result.  Try it and let me know.  Tag me when you share it on social media.

Start with fsc in a multiple of 3 for the length of clutch purse you want

Row 1 : sc in the 1st fsc and each fsc till end. Turn.

Row 2 : sc the 1st sc and each sc till end.  Turn.
Note : The original pattern has 3 rows of sc, but with the purse yarn, I thought 2 rows sufficed a ‘border’.  However, choice is yours.  Do remember that when you finish off, repeat the same number of sc rows you’ve started with.

Row 3 : Sk 1st 2 sc ;  (sc and 2 dc in the next sc) ; 
*sk next 2 sc , rep (to) once* ; 
rep *to* till end.  Turn.

Row 4 : Sk 1st 2 sts ; (sc and 2 dc in the next st) ; 
*sk next 2 st , rep (to) once* ; 
rep *to* till end.  Turn.

Repeat Rows 3 / 4 till you have a clutch of the height / width you desire.
If you are working on the width first, you will rep Rows 3 / 4 till you have the length needed for your purse.  Got it?  Great.. enjoy.

2nd Last Row  : sc in the 1st st and each st till the end.  Turn.
Check that you have the same number of stitches that you started with

Last Row  : sc in the 1st sc and each sc till the end.  Turn.

Fasten off then and weave in the ends

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns J

Do come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/ 



And please join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Have a great day and see you soon. J


Here are some of my other creations.  Have fun with these free patterns too