Sunday, 20 December 2015

MY FIRST BIKINI


MY FIRST BIKINI

I was not sure if I’d ever get a challenge like this .. a bikini .. yaay. J
And aren’t we lucky that we have this huge stash of freebies just floating around the net?? So as I work my project, here are my notes.

Materials used : Today I’ve used the superb Indian Laura knitting cotton yarn with a 4.5 mm crochet hook.

Skill level : Easy - Intermediate

Abbreviations used : (Using U.S terminology)
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                 dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                                    ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                    rep : Repeat

Stitches used :
fdc : Foundation Double Crochet : This is a unique way of starting a project directly with a row of double crochet stitches.  This makes your whole project neat and even .. in a way that you need to do once, to agree!  If you are familiar with fsc, you’ll wonder why you never used this start before !


For my first bikini top, I’ve used a free pattern from Garn Studio / Drops Design http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/pattern.php?id=3305&lang=en#pattern_content


Using our Laura knitting cotton yarn, some of the ch-sps seemed a bit too large, so I changed those, but otherwise there is no major change.

And for the bikini bottom, there is a pattern from Patons
but I also found a chart on a Pinterest link, which is what I used.

Bikini Bottom : 


The chart that accompanies this write up was one found free on the net.  This worked perfectly for the person I’m making this bikini set for.  So, I am writing it out as is – with an idea of what to do in case you need to tweak it a bit.

Start :  58 fdc (or as many fdc as you need to cover the width or half round hip.  Read note at the end of instructions).  Turn.

Row 1 :  dc in the 1st fdc, and each fdc till the last 2 fdc.  Skip the last 2 fdc.  Turn.

Row 2 :  dc in the 1st dc, and each dc till the last 2 dc.  Skip the last 2 dc.  Turn.

Rows 3 - 24 : Rep Row 2.

We are now at the crotch of your bikini bottom, so we will work without decrease for a few rows now.

Rows 25 – 31 :  dc in the 1st dc ; dc in each dc till end.  Turn.

We will now work the other half of the bikini bottom, so we need to increase every row at one end, to get the shape to mirror the first half.

Rows 32 :  2 dc in the 1st dc ; dc in each dc till end.  Turn.

The first half till the crotch of the bikini bottom was 24 rows; so once again, we need to have a total of 24 rows starting with Row 32.

Rows 33 – 55 :  Rep Row 32

Fasten off and weave in ends.



Note : Now, there are varying body sizes, this general pattern may not suit each body type.  However, using this as a template, and working with the number of stitches you’ve started with for your round waist / hip, and the distance from that starting point to the crotch, work the second half of your bikini to mirror the first half.

Finishing :

We need to work in a tie-cord for the top sides of the bikini bottoms (oh, that sounds confusing, but I know you know what I mean).

So I’ve worked an fdc chain off all four sides of my bikini bottoms.
However, you could opt to use a satin ribbon or any other tying instrument (for want of a better word).

I loved creating my first bikini.  Thank you for joining me for this ride too.
Come back right here for more freebie patterns.    J

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  


Have a great day and see you soon. J