Wednesday, 27 April 2016

STEP LADDER PATTERNED SCARF


STEP LADDER PATTERNED SCARF

I saw this pin and thought that this one was a real ‘to-do’ and must do. It’s so cute.. a little like a chevron, a little like a step ladder or steps.. and altogether just unavoidable .. so I didn’t bother resisting and have decided to go ahead and figure this free chart out.  Thanks for joining me in my creative journey.J

As I work on this pattern, I’ve written down my notes that I share with you.

and here is the photograph from that pin that piqued my fancy 


Materials used : Today I have about 150 gms of our lovely 4 ply Oswal Cashmilon acrylic yarn with a 4 mm crochet hook

Abbreviations used :
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                   dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                                      ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                      rep : Repeat
hk : Hook                                                                     lp(s) : Loop(s)
st(s) : Stitch(es)                                                          yo: Yarn Over
sl-st : Slip Stitch


Stitches used :  (U.S terminology)
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row.  Do take a look at this self explanatory super video http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using the chainless dc start.


Instructions using (U.S terminology) :

Our pattern repeat here is 12 + 2.

Start : with fsc in multiples of 12 + 2.  Turn.

Row 1 : dc in the 1st 2 fsc ; 
*ch 2, sk next 2 fsc, dc in the next 6 fsc ; ch 2, sk next 2 fsc, dc in the next 2 fsc* ; 
rep *to* till the last 2 fsc ; dc in the last 2 fsc.  Turn.

Row 2 : dc in 1st 2 dc ; 
*ch 6, sk next 4 dc, dc in the next 2 dc ; ch 2, dc in the next 2 dc* ; 
rep *to* till last 2 dc ; dc in the last 2 dc. Turn.

Row 3 : dc in 1st 2 dc ; 
*ch 2, dc in the next 2 dc ; (ch 2, 4 dc in the next ch-6 sp ; dc in the next 2 dc)* ; 
rep *to* till end.  Turn.

Row 4 : dc in 1st 2 dc ; ch 2, sk next 2 dc, dc in the next 2 dc ; 
*ch 2, dc in the next 2 dc ; ch 6, sk next 4 dc, dc in the next 2 dc* ; 
rep *to* till end ; ch 2, dc in the last 2 dc.  Turn.

Row 5 : dc in 1st 2 dc ; 2 dc in the next ch-2 sp ; dc in the next 2 dc ; 
*ch 2, dc in the next 2 dc ; ch 2, 4 dc in the next ch-6 sp ; dc in the next 2 dc* ; 
rep *to* till end ; ch 2, dc in the last 2 dc.  Turn.

Row 6 : dc in 1st 2 dc ; ch 2, dc in the next 2 dc ; 
*ch 6, sk next 4 dc, dc in the next 2 dc ; ch 2, dc in the next 2 dc* ; 
rep *to* till end. Turn.

Row 7 : dc in the 1st 2 dc ; 
*ch 2, 4 dc in the next ch-6 sp ; dc in the next 2 dc ; ch 2, dc in the next 2 dc* ; 
rep *to* till end, ch 2, dc in the last 2 dc. Turn.




And just like that we’re done with this lovely wavy pattern.  Repeat Rows 2 – 7 till your project is of the length desired.
Fasten off and weave in ends.

I think this will look superb if we use a thinner yarn – say a 2 or 3 ply with a thinner hook, and I think then the stitch and pattern will show through even better.. but that’s for another day.

I have not completed my project as yet, but I just couldn’t wait to share this with you straight off.. I am so darn in love with the pattern.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did .. come back right here for more freebie patterns
  
If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Do visit my Pinterest page at http://www.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/ to see all the free patterns I’ve made as well as my oh, never ending “to-do” list


AND do join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Have a great day and see you soon. J


I have a few other neck-wear pieces already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those patterns … here you go  J