Tuesday, 31 May 2016

ESS's CROSSED OVER INFINITY COWL



ESS's CROSSED OVER INFINITY COWL

This cowl is probably one of the loveliest I’ve made. This pattern.. ooh, what does one say about this pattern ?! I’ve made the basket weave, but this diagonally made basket weave that’s also called the Celtic weave, oh, this is just fantastic.  Thanks for joining me in my creative journey.J




Materials used : Today I’ve used about 200 gms of our lovely 4 ply Oswal Cashmilon acrylic yarn with a 4 mm crochet hook

Abbreviations used :
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                   dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                                      ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                      rep : Repeat
hdc :Half Double crochet                                    fpdc : Front Post Double Crochet

Stitches used :
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row.  Do take a look at this self explanatory super video http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using the chainless dc start.

fpdc : Front Post Double Crochet : Post stitches are stitches worked around the post of a stitch of the row below.
yo, hk into sp between posts of st from row below – going from back of stitch, around st and into the front of the st ; yo, pull yarn through the sps (3 lps on hk), (yo & pull through 2 lps) twice.  One fpdc complete

I started with the pattern first thinking I’d make a scarf, and then wondered if it would make a good wrap and finally ended up making this an infinity cowl.
So basically, this pattern, you can make anything with it.. it is just superb !



As you can see, the pattern links above lead to making an afghan.. how awesome is this pattern?

The Pinterest link above actually leads to a photo tutorial, and I followed that. I was about to write my notes down, when my friend informed me of these two links that already have it written down and a video tutorial as well.

As so many keep asking for a video tutorial, well, here is one for you. 


The pattern is not easy, as not only is it post stitches, but it is worked diagonally - but once you get what you need to be doing, it's not that hard.

I'll add, however, that this is definitely not one of those projects you can work in front of the T.V

So if you are working a scarf or a wrap, you just figure out what width and length you need.


If you want to make this into a cowl, once you’ve made it to the length you are happy with, for an infinity cowl, all you need to do is join the two ends.  What’s absolutely fantastic about the cowl is that both sides have a different pattern – so even if it flips over and the *under-side* shows, it looks fantastic.

I love what I've created .. as does the person for whom I’ve made this, so a total “win-win” here. 

                                            Front of work                                                                 Back of work

I love that when you wear it as a cowl, and some of the back shows through too, it looks superb even then !

And that’s done.. yet another project brilliantly executed ! J

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did..come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Join me for more patterns on my Pinterest page at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/ or more free patterns at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/


or join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Here are the other neckwear projects I’ve already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go  J

Have a great day and see you soon. J