Friday, 12 February 2016

TWO LOVELY HARRY POTTER INSPIRED COWLS


TWO LOVELY COWLS

These are two of my Harry Potter inspired cowls.. well, they’re Potter inspired mainly by the colours.. and I guess these colours could also be that of some (football) team too, but they’re made for Potter fans, so , here goes. J

I saw both these patterns on a Pinterest page.  The first diagonal one I’ve made is a fully written pattern but I have made two small notes to assist the beginner.
The second one is from a chart I’d found, and I thought it was just too lovely to miss.

Difficulty level : Easy to Intermediate crochet skills

Materials used : Today I’ve used our Indian Vardhaman Millenium acrylic  yarn,  with a 4.5 mm crochet hook

Abbreviations used :
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                 hdc : Half double crochet
ch : chain                                                                                     ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                                     rep : Repeat
dc 2-tog : Double crochet 2-together

Stitches used :
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3,I’d like to introduce a lovely way of starting a double crochet row.  Do take a look at this self explanatory super video
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using this chainless dc start.

dc 2-tog : Double crochet 2-tog : [yo, insert hk in st or ch-sp, yo and pull up a lp ; yo and draw through 2 lps] 2 times (3 lps on hk) ; yo, draw through all lps on hk.  One dc 2-tog made.


Pattern Instructions : Using U.S terminology

DIAGONAL SCARF / COWL


This is a lovely pattern and a neat simple two line repeat, that does not really require any further explanation.


I used Gryffindor colours for this cowl.
I thought however, for the beginner, who can easily attempt this pattern, that I’d add a small tip.

So first off, you can work this with any odd number of stitches (though the pattern says 27 plus 4 chain)

As usual, I prefer to start with my foundation single crochet stitch, and the link for that is given above.

So we’re increasing only one side, (which is what gives us this diagonal pattern)and we should ensure that we keep the same number of stitches in each row – so if we start with 32 stitches, we will have 16 sc and 15 ch-1 sps, and we should ensure that each row has this count.

So to ensure that we do not make an error in this increase, I’d suggest you place a marker on the side you’re increasing on.. so you know which side to add that one sc in the first ch-1 sp.

The second thing I’d like to add is that this lovely pattern can be left as a scarf, or you can just easily join the edges and get a lovely infinity cowl as the diagonals neatly line up and if you work the colours neatly, then you will be unable to see where you’ve joined up.. especially if you’ve started with the fsc.



Easy enough.. enjoy.

For the Second Cowl, I’ve used a chart I found on Pinterest, using the Slytherin colours


Start with fsc in multiples of 8, for the length you want for your scarf / cowl.
We start right off with our dc 2-tog in the following row.

Row 1 : dc 2-tog in the 1st fsc ; ch 2, dc 2-tog in the same 1st fsc ; 
(sk next 3 fsc, sc in the next fsc) ; 
*dc 2-tog in the next fsc ; [ch 2, dc 2-tog in the same fsc] ; rep [to] once ; rep (to) once* ; 
rep *to* till last 4 fsc ; sk next 3 fsc , rep [to] 2 times in the last fsc.  Turn.

Row 2 : sc in the 1st dc 2-tog ; ch 3, dc in the next sc ; 
*ch 3, sk next dc 2-tog, sc in the next dc 2-tog ; ch 3, dc in the next sc* ; 
rep *to* till last 2 dc 2-tog ; ch 3, sk next dc 2-tog, sc in the last dc 2-tog.  Turn.

Row 3 : sc in the 1st sc ; 
*dc 2-tog in the next dc ; [ch 2, dc 2-tog in the same dc] ; rep [to] once ; sc in the next sc* ; 
rep *to* till end.  Turn.

Row 4 : dc in the 1st sc ; ch 3, sc in the next dc 2-tog ; 
*ch 3, sk next dc 2-tog, dc in the next sc ; ch 3, sc in the next dc 2-tog* ; 
rep *to* till end ; ch 3, sk next dc 2-tog, dc in the last sc.  Turn.

Row 5 : dc 2-tog in the 1st dc ; ch 2, dc 2-tog in the same 1st dc ; sc in the next dc ; 
*dc 2-tog in the next dc ; [ch 2, dc 2-tog in the same dc] ; rep [to] once ; sc in the next dc* ; 
rep *to* till last 4 dc ; sk next 3 dc , rep [to] 2 times in the last dc.  Turn.




Rep Rows 2 - 5 till you have a scarf / cowl of the length needed , ending with a Row 4.

If making a cowl, (as I have), then all I did was join the two ends of my scarf.
If leaving as a scarf, then using the two colours, add tassels at each end alternatively thus accentuating the colours and adding a little to the length and beauty of your scarf.

Now for cowl, you just join without any worries.
If making a cowl, I'd suggest you do a row sc each st and in each ch all the way to the end .  Ensure that you have the same number of stitches at this end that you started with (i.e the first row of fsc)

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own bolero.  Thanks.


Have a great day and see you soon. J

Here are some more neck wear that I've made that you may like.. so here goes..