Tuesday, 2 February 2016

SILK SCARF EDGING


SILK SCARF EDGING

This is a really lovely silk scarf that I received as a gift recently.  I thought that a little blingy edging would just oomph it up a bit, so here’s what I’ve done to it.  This edging can also be used for a blanket or sari border, but you know that too.. which is why you’ve come here today. J

I found this pattern chart either via Google or a Pinterest board, and it is not my original chart.. just my original write up.
As I work on this pattern, I’ve written down my notes that I share with you.


Materials used : Today I’ve used our Indian Red Rose cotton metallic yarn,  with a 2 mm crochet hook 

Abbreviations used :
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                   dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                                      ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                      rep : Repeat


Stitches used :
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row.  Do take a look at this self explanatory super video http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using the chainless dc start.

How to do a picot stitch : A neat video link to refresh this procedure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GGlzZZl3I8


As I’m adding this as a border for the sides of a wrap, I’ve first figured out the pattern repeat, and then done sc all along the edge in that pattern repeat. 

Our pattern repeat is 4.

Start : with sc (along the edge of the shawl) in multiples of 4.

Our “V”-st in this pattern is (2 dc ; ch 2, 2 dc) all in the same st or ch-sp

Row 1 : sc in the 1st sc ; (ch 3, sk next sc, sc in the next sc) ; rep (to) 2 times ; *ch 5, sk next 2 sc, sc in the next sc ; rep (to) 3 times* ; rep *to* till end.  Turn.

Row 2 : sc in the 1st ch-3 sp ; (ch 3, sk next sc, sc in the next ch-3 sp) ; *[5 dc in the next ch-5 sp ; ch 2, 5 dc in the same ch-5 sp] ; rep (to) 2 times* ; rep *to* till end.  Turn.

Row 3 : sc in the 1st ch-3 sp ; (ch 3, sk next sc, sc in the next ch-3 sp) ; *[ch 5, sk next 5 dc, 3 dc in the next ch-2 sp ; ch 3, 3 dc in the  same ch-2 sp] ; ch 5, sk next 5 dc, sc in the next ch-3 sp ; rep (to) once* ; rep *to* till end.  Turn.

In the following last row, we’ll do our decorative picot.  Our picot is a 3-ch picot (ch 3, sl-st in the 1st ch).

Row 4 : sc in the 1st ch-3 sp ; *[5 dc in the next ch-5 sp + picot ; sk next 3 dc, 3 dc in the next ch-3 sp + picot ; 3 dc in the same ch-3 sp + picot ; 5 dc in the next ch-5 sp] ; sc in the next ch-3 sp* ; rep *to* till end.  Turn.


Fasten off and weave in ends.

Repeat the pattern for the other side edging as well.

Fasten off and weave in ends.  Give yourself a big pat on the back as this one has really been yet another great project .. and so different from the others we’ve worked on together.. and once again, totally worth it, I’m sure you’ll agree. J

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.



Have a great day and see you soon. J