Monday, 26 October 2015

FIVE PLAITED INFINITY COWL




FIVE PLAITED INFINITY COWL

This cowl is a fascinating one.. a simple (?) five plait.. how easy is that, right?
A friend gifted me this lovely yarn and I thought I’d make this scarf for her daughter.  So as always, here are my notes as I make my own project. J

Materials used : Today I’ve used the superb Bernat Super Value worsted 4-ply acrylic yarn with a 6.5 mm crochet hook.

For Indians : This yarn is not like our Indian 4-ply.  It is probably as thick as our two strands of 4-ply held together.  

Size made : Length : ~ 27”

Gauge : One fdc strip = 1” wide

Stitches used :

fdc : Foundation Double Crochet : This is a unique way of starting a project directly with a row of double crochet stitches.  This makes your whole project neat and even.. in a way that you need to do once, to agree!  If you are familiar with fsc, you’ll wonder why you never used this start before !

How to do a five plait : This is a superb short video to explain this technique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eehg9k3FYZ0

Now this is a super easy pattern as all we’re going to do is make five long fdc strips

We will then weave these into a five plait (video link above) and then we will join the ends to make an infinity cowl.

So I started with 200 fdc as I felt that this was the right length for me.  

Now what we need to remember is that on plaiting, we lose length – so the flat length we initially start off with will be slightly reduced.  Trial and error to figure out just how long you want yours.. as sorry, I have no formula for this today.

The important thing is not the number of fdc that you need, but to ensure that you work the same number of fdc for all the five strips.

So, I’ve done is make an fdc strip of 200 fdc’s first.  I fastened off the first fdc.

When working on the 2nd fdc, at the end, just before I fastened off, I joined it at one end to the 1st fdc strip.

The 3rd fdc was joined at one end of the 2nd fdc..

So basically, you join all these 5 fdc strips at one end.
So this is the first tricky bit .. joining them and keeping the strips flat.

I then attached the strips down to a board with pins.



Then working with the video link for the five plait, weave your plait.
This is not that bad.. especially if you’ve done a three or four plait before – just ensure that you keep the plaits flat at the end of each flip from side to side – but you’ll figure that out too.

The last bit, I found was the trickiest.. So once you reach the end of your fdc strips, you need to join the ends up to make it an infinity cowl.

Now after some trial and error, this worked – I first pinned and then ran a thread through the two ends of the plait, holding the five plaits neatly woven.  I then tried to figure out which of the five plaits would join up on either end, to try and make it a continuous finish.  Pin the two ends down, and then try to join the two plait ends neatly.  Phew.. all the best.

So
1.       Start with 200 fdc – or as many as you think you want for your yarn /gauge and length ;
2.     Make five such fdc strips ;
3.     Attach them at one end first, then pin them down and following the video link, make your five plait ;
4.     Try to see if you can neatly figure out which of the plaits join up at both ends, so you get a neat continuous cowl
5.     Fasten off and weave in all ends.. and ta da, just like that, we’re done with this super quick cowl






Right, so off we go.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns.    J

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  


Have a great day and see you soon. J

Just thought I’d add a few more links for cowls I’ve made