Friday 14 July 2017

THE SETTING SUN COUCH THROW

photo of the full beautiful Setting Sun couch throw

THE SETTING SUN COUCH THROW
Isn’t it fantastic how we use up one set of scrap yarn and suddenly (and miraculously?) find ourselves with yet another large bag full of it ?  There is probably a section here on the internet for different ways to use scrap yarn..
Yup.. One can make /use a key chain and a small stuff toy too, but when you don’t get the *right* colours for that project, I ain’t too thrilled to start on it.
With this scrappy afghan / throw though, you can just go a little merry on the colours. 

Thank you for joining me.
In case you have just joined me, know that you can access all of my earlier creations by checking under ‘categories’ on the right hand side of this blog under “Labels”.  Then, for your convenience, follow me here or on Facebook, You Tube, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram. Check out all my social media handles at the bottom of this blog
Oh, and may I add that the fastest way to find any of my blogs is via Pinterest.

Do remember to add my blog URL when you make and show off your creation.  Cheers.  Enjoy 

another photo of the throw held up against a wall

This is not my original pattern. 
These are just my notes on how I went about it.

I placed out all my yarn colour wise. 
I decided that I am just going to grade them (i.e light to dark - within the colour range) and use up one colour as I go along. 
I will *try* to get the colours in some semblance of order as well, but I also think that with this lovely pattern, it is not really going to matter.

I have also decided not to worry when one color ends halfway through a section.  I will just join up the next one (either in the colour range, or the next set of colors) and carry on.

I hope you have as much fun as I am, and will join me back for my next foray into Scrappy afghans – yes.. I already have another pattern in mind to use up scraps in an afghan.

Materials used : I have used oh ~ 700 gms of our lovely Indian Oswal Cashmilon 4-ply, light fingering yarn with a 4 mm crochet hook using up all the scrap yarn I have in this weight category.

Size : 52” x 69”, which is a little larger than a “Standard Sized Couch afghan”.

Stitches used :  (Using U.S terminology)
Starting slip knot : Here’s how you start with a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/lJcqsVcs8cw

Starting slip knot 1 or the Sloppy Slip knot : This is a neat new way to start your work without a slip knot.  https://youtu.be/YfC7KmGpifs

What is a slip stitch : Here is a neat video tutorial at https://youtu.be/weB3QNbA8Iw

What is a chain stitch ? Here is an easy video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXx5ukBjKkY

Double Crochet : dc : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (3 lps on hk);
[yo, draw through 2 lps] twice.  One dc made. 
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/xdnjB27zpYo

Chainless start for Double Crochet : I dislike the ch-2 / ch – 3 start, and this is what I do to start my row of dc.
Check out the video at https://youtu.be/wskv3iTjRx0

How to change colors seamlessly : Here’s an easy video tutorial to show you how to change from the Main color to the Contrast or second color of yarn seamlessly.  View it at https://youtu.be/fRzSBja9jno 

How to carry your yarn when using two colors : Here’s an easy video tutorial to show you how to carry your yarn along when working with two colours.  


and here are some more photos of this superb project. 

photo of the throw draped on a couch

detail photo of the pattern of the throw

just another photo of the gorgeous warm colors in the couch throw

another photo of the full smooshed up couch throw


As I said before this is not my original pattern and I used the the pattern from http://www.freewebs.com/bethintx/scrappystepsafghan.htm

This whole pattern works only on the right side of work, and from right to left each row.  You will fasten off at the end of each row.

Now the only difference that I have worked here is that I have not left any yarn at the start or end of my work.  I have actually woven in the yarn as I started each row, and at the end, I fastened off. 

Once I had a the width I wanted, I started working on the length.  
I started working the finishing rows, which is working from right to left (as usual), but finishing off one section at a time in a wave-like-finish, once again weaving in the ends as I finished each row.

The biggest difference that I feel with my afghan and the one by the designer is my color choice.  As I have decided to use one full ball of yarn to finish off one section at a time, I feel that the illusion effect is different from using contrasting colours every row (as has the designer).

I love the wave-like pattern that my afghan has ended up with, and of course, it is also a fantastic stash buster.

Finishing :  A good finish makes a huge difference.
First run a round of sc / hdc / dc all around ensuring that you work 3 sts in each corner stitch. 
I have worked a few rows of hdc all around , just to ‘frame’ the centre part in - so that the beauty of the wave-like pattern is highlighted.
Remember that with each increasing round, you will need to work 3 sts in the 
corner centre stitch (of the 3-st set from the earlier round) in each corner, every round.

If you have not woven the ends of your yarn at the start and end, I suggest that before you start the finishing round, you weave them in, and then ensure that when are working the first round for your finishing, you re-weave and hold those little yarns in.  That will give your end product a good finish and prevent ends sticking out over time.

Once completely done, fasten off and weave in ends. 
Block as per yarn instructions. 

For my project, I hand-washed using a light liquid soap and rinsed off with a fabric conditioner.  I then flat dried & blocked it.

Please do tag me on Facebook when you finish your product, as I’d love to see your creation(s).

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. Come back right here for more freebie patterns

Remember to share this blog post when you share your photos with me on Facebook.  I’d love to feature your photos on my FB page.  Cheers.

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/


Join me on YouTube at http://youtube.com/shyamanivas 

And on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/ for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Find me on Ravelry at ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas/


Have a great day and see you soon. 

Here are some of my older creations.