Thursday, 16 April 2015

EASY FULL SLEEVED BOLERO

 
EASY FULL SLEEVED BOLERO

This is a really easy pattern.. We basically make a long rectangle, and then fold it for sleeves, and the rest of it comprises the back ... sound annoyingly easy? Well, it is.

This has been requested by a friend who has a red sleeveless polo necked top, and needed something “just for her arms” – and this pattern gives you just that.. arms!

The original pattern has a really cute set of embroidered lines around the sleeves, and I’d initially thought I’d do that here in red (to match her top), but then thought that this would mean she can only wear it with that one top, or any other that matched red.. so have decided against that.  There is a charm and sexiness to just black – so …

Now this is a free pattern and all written up – but I’ve done a little tweak, and I’m just writing out my notes.. in case someone else too wants to similarly tweak.


Materials used : Today I’ve used about 120 gm of the lovely Vardhaman Millenium DK-ply acrylic yarn,  with a 4  mm crochet hook

Abbreviations used :
fdc : Foundation double crochet                                dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                                         ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                          rep : Repeat


Stitches used :
fdc : Foundation Double Crochet : This is a unique way of starting a project directly with a row of double crochet stitches.  This makes your whole project neat and even.. in a way that you need to do once, to agree!  If you are familiar with fsc, you’ll wonder why you never used this start before !

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row.  Do take a look at this self explanatory super video http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using the chainless dc start.

Picot : (sc, ch 3, sl-st in same sc) all in the same st or ch-sp. 
Pl view instructions at http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-crochet-a-picot-stitch.html for a refresher of what a 3-ch picot is.

Quick analysis of what we’re going to do here today.   So we’re going to make one large rectangle, that equals the length from one wrist to the other, over the back – so you measure from wrist to armhole, then across back, and armhole to the other wrist. 

Now I found that if I wanted a back that was long(ish), I’d end up with really loose sleeves, and I did want a longish back.  So here’s what I tweaked with the pattern.

First off, I started with fdc instead of ch, as I really prefer the evenness of this start.  Then though the pattern says sc, dc and trc rows, I did only sc, hdc and dc rows (not trc rows as I found it too open with the yarn I was using) and followed the  pattern till I had a rectangle that fit loosely and comfortably around the upper arm (remember that the wrist and lower arms are usually a smaller size than the elbow and upper arm) , and at that point I inserted a marker (for both sides of garment.. marking off both arm bits).  I am then left with this space between markers that denotes the back part of my bolero.  Starting with a 2-tog st in that 1st set of sts (after marker) and ending with a 2-tog at the end to get a neat and soft curve, I worked on the centre portion for a few rows till I was happy with the length for back.

Joining was the  same as suggested – join the two halves of rectangle to make sleeves and we’re done with our lovely bolero.  

 So this is what it looks almost done, and then with the sleeve bit stitched up

Just for a difference, I did a lovely picot edging stitch around the top and bottom of the bolero (neckline edge and then the base edges, I mean).

See, just in reading through this blog, you too will be compelled to try this one out. J

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog.. if nothing else then for pointing you to the original pattern J.. (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own bolero.  Thanks.


Have a great day and see you soon. J
  
I have a few boleros already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go