Friday 2 July 2021

SIX BEANIES IN-ONE

Beanies are always in fashion - and we can't have enough of them, can we?
I have been given yet another bag of yarn and requested to make beanies for the homeless.  I'm hoping that there's going to be even more yarn - which also means there will be more patterns discovered and written.

In my patterns, I get you to think a little bit.  
The reason all my patterns can be made to any size using any yarn is that I use the (unique) principle of stitch count.  
But this also means that the pattern may not be a straight off work through for all yarns - so all this means is that you can use any yarn, but you need to calculate, just a little bit... but then that's the fun in creativity, isn't it?

Thanks for joining me.  Come along, let’s create something beautiful 

In case you have just joined me, know that you can access all of my earlier creations by checking under ‘categories’ on the right hand side of this blog under “Labels”.  Then, for your convenience, follow me here or on Facebook, You Tube, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.

Check out all my social media handles at the bottom of this blog

Oh, and may I add that the fastest way to find any of my blogs is via Pinterest.


All my blogs can be printed.  Find the printer friendly (green) link on the right side of this blog.  You can also hit Control P (or Command P for Mac) on your keyboard, and the blog will go directly to the connected printer.

Remember that you only print if absolutely essential.  Save paper – Save Our Earth. 


Do remember to add my blog URL when you make and show off your creation. 

Just copy the link on the search bar above - that's the blog URL.


To purchase this or similar yarn online, click the highlighted links below to buy your yarns online via Amazon.  While you will still pay the same, I may get paid by Amazon as well. 

This is a free blog - so do pay it forward for me.  Cheers.


Materials used : Today I’ve used different types of acrylic yarn with a 5 mm crochet hook ; embroidery needle fabric glue to seal ends ; crochet stitch markers 
Check individual patterns for yarn details
For Indians The yarns I’ve used are similar in thickness to about 1.5 strands of our Vardhaman / as well as Oswal acrylic yarns or Laura knitting cotton.
You could use Anchor , Red rose , 4-ply knitting cotton , or unbranded knitting cotton or White Rose or bamboo knitting cotton , Milk cotton ; Silk yarns ; Baby soft acrylic yarn , Ganga Spectrum as well
General yarn info : The yarns used today is not specific to this pattern.
You can use any yarn with a suitable hook to make this project to any size.  Using chunky yarn just means that the project zooms ahead that much faster.  So if you want a thicker yarn, just use a few strands together.
International yarns :  Among the international yarns I have used in this thickness, I’d suggest Lily Sugar n' Cream cotton yarn, Caron Simply Soft , Bernat Softee chunky.
but I think you could also use Aunt Lydia Cotton 10, Aunt Lydia Bamboo-Viscose 10, DMC Petra, Sullivans knitting cotton (Australia), Milford Soft, Hilaza Rustica Eclat , Alize cotton yarn and Alize bamboo yarn
You may just have to tweak the gauge a bit.

Difficulty level : Easy to Intermediate.
Size made : Adult beanie : 22" x 8.25"
Size only given for yarn estimation.

Stitches used :
Starting slip knot : https://youtu.be/lJcqsVcs8cw
Starting slip knot 1 or the Sloppy Slip knot : https://youtu.be/YfC7KmGpifs
Crab Stitch or Reverse Single Crochet stitch : https://youtu.be/cG3crwyHPnk
Here is a sizing chart for general head sizing :

Abbreviations used :
sc : single crochet            hdc : Half Double crochet
ch : chain                         ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                        rep : Repeat
hk : hook                          lp (s) : loop(s)
yo : yarn over                   sl-st : slip stitch     

Instructions using U.S terminology
Please note that I start all my rounds with a ch 1 turning chain for ease.
Please check the top of this blog for video tutorials of all the stitches used in today’s pattern.
Please note that I take a lot of trouble to give loads of tips through my pattern sheet, so please read through the full sheet before you pick up your hook n yarn.

What is a slip stitch : https://youtu.be/weB3QNbA8Iw

Half Double Crochet : Hdc :  yo, insert hk into st ; yo (3 lps on hk) ; 

yo, draw through all 3 lps.  One hdc made.  

Check out the video at https://youtu.be/sDiELJdB2Dg

Chainless start for Half Double Crochet : I dislike the ch-2 start, and this is what I do to start my row of hdc. Check out the video at https://youtu.be/lWXpl1KdbZ8
What is a chain stitch ?  https://youtu.be/pXx5ukBjKkY

GENERAL PATTERN RULES / INFORMATION
With all the patterns given below, these are the standard rules
1) Work the first 4 (or 5) rounds.  
[If using a light weight yarn (3-ply or 4-ply), you may need to work 5 rounds] 
2) Check circumference using the head sizing chart on top of the blog or the circumference calculations
3) Check individual patterns to see if the pattern 'opens out' or not to decide what diameter to calculate

Start Round 1 : with a magic circle and work 12 hdc in it.  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st. (12 sts)

Round 2 : 2 hdc in the 1st st & in each st all around.  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st. (24 sts)

Round 3 : 2 hdc in the 1st st ; hdc in the next st ;
(2 hdc in the next st ; hdc in the next st) ;
rep (to) all around.  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st. (36 sts)

Round 4 : 2 hdc in the 1st st ; hdc in the next 2 sts ;
(2 hdc in the next st ; hdc in the next 2 sts) ;
rep (to) all around.  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st. (48 sts)

Round 5 : 2 hdc in the 1st st ; hdc in the next 3 sts ;
(2 hdc in the next st ; hdc in the next 3 sts) ;
rep (to) all around.  
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st. (60 sts)

Please check the top of this blog for a head measurement chart and /or the bottom of this blog for circumference calculations.

Circumference calculations
Here's a great way to check  circumference 
To check, you are either going to wear the beanie, or check with the head size chart given at the top of this blog.
Remember that yarn stretches - so if it's a bit snug, it's good

1. Hat circumference = measure around the head just above ears and subtract one inch for a nicely fitted finished hat.
2. Crown width = (this is a flat circular top of the hat) you need to divide hat circumference by 3.14 (pi).
3. Hat height = Head circumference / 10 x 4.

So you need to measure circumference of the head (round head measurement) and keep checking the outer circumference of your work.  
There is another trick for measuring circumference (without running your measure tape all around the edge of your circle as you are working). 
This works for a cap that you are working top down, from the crown of the head.
It works by dividing your round head measure by pi (3.14). 
So say your head measurement is 22, divide 22 by 3.14 = 7.  
Remember when calculating diameter, you must account for the stretch of your yarn too.
So once the ‘flat portion’ for the crown (or the first few rounds while you are still increasing) of your cap is 7” diameter, you can stop increases and start increasing just the length (without increasing stitches for the round)

PATTERN 1
This pattern is really simple - but looks great due to the use of two colors of yarn as well as the spike stitch.
We start with the main color and then change (for two rounds of spike stitch as well as border) to a contrast color
Skill level : Advanced

For this pattern I've used DK ply yarns with a 5.5 mm crochet hook
Pattern 1 complete

How to change colors seamlessly : https://youtu.be/fRzSBja9jno 

How to carry your yarn when using two colors : https://youtu.be/NuascBU3pxQ 

Double Crochet : dc : yo, insert hk into st ; yo (3 lps on hk); 

[yo, draw through 2 lps] twice.  One dc made.  

Check out the video at https://youtu.be/xdnjB27zpYo 

Chainless start for Double Crochet : I dislike the ch-2 / ch – 3 start, and this is what I do to start my row of dc. Check out the video at https://youtu.be/wskv3iTjRx0


Pattern 1 idea : 
1) Using the same number of start stitches I worked with double crochet (not hdc)
2) I stopped increases when I had a diameter of 5.75". 
3) This pattern does not open out a lot.  
4) I then worked without increase in plain hdc in each stitch all around till I had a length of 5" from crown (or a total of 11 rounds = 5 dc rounds + 6 hdc rounds)
5) I then changed color (green variegated) and worked the Spike Stitch using only sc and dc
Pattern 1 - showing crown

Pattern 1 showing spike detail
Check the video below to get an idea of how to work the Spike Stitch.
The Spike stitch is a stitch worked into (& around) the stitch of a lower row.
Usually a spike stitch is worked over sc or single crochet.  I have used this  idea working it over the hdc or half double crochet stitches.
So the 1st st is a hdc as we usually work it, the next is a double crochet spike stitch - so work the double crochet stitch into the hdc st one row down to get the elongated look

To work the Spike Stitch for this beanie : Using contrast color yarn : 
(hdc in the 1st st ; Double crochet Spike stitch in the next st) ; 
rep (to) all around ; 
Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.
Change color at the end of the round to the main color

Work 2 rounds in Main color ; then work one round with the contrast color in Spike stitch
Pattern 1 showing base detail
I then worked 4 rounds in hdc, till I had a length of just over 7" from crown to brim
I then changed again to contrast color and worked 3 rounds in hdc to finish.

PATTERN 2
This is a really easy pattern - and the effect is due to the use of two yarns - one plain, one multi colored.  The two yarns also add to the thickness / bulkiness & warmth of this creation
Skill level : Easy
Pattern 2 complete
For this pattern I've used two 3-ply yarns held together - one is a variegated autumn color and the 2nd is a plain beige which gives the speckled effect and adds thickness.  I used a 5.5 mm crochet hook

Pattern 2 idea : 
1) I started with hdc
2) I stopped increases when I had a diameter of 5.75". 
3) This pattern does not open out a lot, but as I was using 2 strands of yarn, it adds to the bulk and opened out anyway - remember also that the yarns stretch with add to the circumference
4) I then worked without increase in plain hdc in each stitch all around till I had a length of 9" from crown to brim.

PATTERN 3
For this pattern I've used one DK ply yarn (yellow) & the multi colored is a 4-ply yarn with a 5.5 mm crochet hook
I've made this for a 20" circumference
Check Pattern 1 on how to work with 2 colored yarns
Skill level : Intermediate
Pattern 3 complete
Pattern 3 idea : 
1) I started with dc & worked in dc all through
2) I stopped increases when I had a diameter of 5.75". 
3) This pattern does not open out a lot
4) I then worked without increase in plain hdc in each stitch all around till I had a length of 4" (= 8 rounds) from crown to brim.
5) I then changed colors and worked 1 round in contrast color

Pattern 3 body detail
6) I have then worked 2 rounds in plain color
7) I repeated (5) & (6) once more (= 6.5" from crown to brim)
Pattern 3 showing base detail
8) I worked the brim in hdc :  
1 round in Contrast Color using hdc ; 
then using Main color I worked a round of slip stitch ;
and 4 rounds using Contrast color with post stitches.
For the post n stitch round : 
(fphdc around the 1st st ; bphdc around the next st) ; 
rep (to) all around and join with a sl-st to the 1st st.  
Fasten off and weave in ends.

What is a slip stitch : https://youtu.be/weB3QNbA8Iw

Front post half double crochet : fphdc :  Post stitches are stitches worked around the post of a stitch of the row below. Here is an easy video tutorial for the fphdc at https://youtu.be/R_dVr9FnBkk

Back post half double crochet : bphdc :  Post stitches are stitches worked around the post of a stitch of the row below. Here is an easy video tutorial for the bphdc at https://youtu.be/9jJHgDX2MsE


PATTERN 4
For this pattern I've used a 4-ply yarn with a 5 mm crochet hook
I've made this for a 22" circumference
Skill level : Intermediate
Pattern 4 complete
Pattern 4 idea : 
1) I started with dc & worked in dc all through
2) I stopped increases when I had a diameter of 6.75". 
3) This pattern does not open out a lot
4) I then worked without increase in plain hdc in each stitch all around till I had a length of 7" (= 12 rounds) from crown to brim.
5) I then worked the spider-like pattern.  
a) The pattern is in the centre 10 sts.  
b) So count the stitches you have all around, and find the centre stitch. Place a marker.
c) Count 5 sts to one side, place marker.  
d) Count 10 sts from this marker and move centre marker to this point.
e) Work in dc till 1st marker ; ch 10, sk 10 sts (till next marker) , dc in marked st ; dc in each st till end.
f) Next 2 rounds : Work dc in each st till marked st ; ch 10 ; dc in each st till end.
g) Last round : Work dc in each st till marked st ; ch 5 , (pass hook over 3 earlier ch-10 sps and work a sc) ; rep (to) 2 more times ; ch 5, dc in each st till end.
Pattern 4 detail

Pattern 4 showing base detail
So we work 3 rounds with ch-10 and in our last round, we 'tie them all up together'
Fasten off and weave in ends.

PATTERN 5
For this pattern I've used DK - ply yarns with a 5.5 mm crochet hook - one is a variegated color (for brim) and the 2nd is the dusky pink.  This pattern uses one round of post stitches
I've made this for a 23" circumference
Skill level : Advanced
Pattern 5 complete
Pattern 5 idea : 
1) I started with hdc & worked in hdc all through
2) I stopped increases when I had a diameter of 5.75". 

Pattern 5 showing crown
3) This pattern does not open out a lot
4) I then worked without increase in plain hdc in each stitch all around till I had a length of about 6" (= 13 rounds) from crown to brim.
5) I then worked fpdc 2-tog in the same st two rows down.
So (a) you work the fpdc 2-tog in the same st
      (b) you work it around the hdc 2 rows down
6) Work hdc in the 1st 2 sts ; 
(work 1 fpdc 2-tog around the st 2 rows down ; hdc in the next 2 sts) ; 
rep (to) all around ;
join with a sl-st

Front Post Double Crochet 2-together : fpdc 2-tog : Post stitches are stitches worked around the post of a stitch of the row below.  

This is the fpdc stitch worked over 2 stitches together.  View the video at https://youtu.be/Kljuw4dnDzI
Pattern 5 - pattern detail
7) Work 5 rounds hdc. Change to contrast color in last stitch
See Pattern 1 on how to work with 2 colors of yarn
Pattern 5 - base detail
8) Work 2 rounds in hdc with contrast color
Fasten off and weave in ends

PATTERN 6
For this pattern I've used DK - ply yarns with a 6 mm crochet hook - Contrast is an off-white color (for camel stitch & brim) and the main is the lovely green.  
This pattern uses the Camel stitch
I've made this for a 23" circumference
Pattern 6 uses the Camel stitch

Camel stitch using hdc : https://youtu.be/mqeLOv0oOU0 

Skill level : Advanced

Pattern 6 idea : 
1) I started with hdc & worked in hdc all through
2) I stopped increases when I had a diameter of 5.75". 
3) This pattern does not open out a lot
4) I then worked without increase in plain hdc in each stitch all around till I had a length of 5" (= 12 rounds) from crown to brim.
Pattern 6 , crown detail
5) Using Contrast color, work one round in Camel stitch.
Change to Main color in the last stitch.
See how to change colors in the video tutorial (Pattern 1)
6) Using  Main color, work 4 rounds in hdc all around
7) Rep (5) & (6) once
Pattern 6 - see the two colors
8) Using Contrast color, work 1 round hdc all around
Pattern 6 , pattern detail

What is a slip stitch : https://youtu.be/weB3QNbA8Iw

9) Using Main color, work 1 round of sl-st all around
10) Using Contrast color, work 2 rounds sl-st all around
Fasten off and weave in ends.

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. Come back right here for more freebie patterns

Remember to share this blog post when you share your photos with me on Facebook.  I’d love to feature your photos on my FB page.  Cheers.

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/


Join me on YouTube at http://youtube.com/shyamanivas

And on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/ for more patterns.

Do follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/ShyamaNivas


Find me on Ravelry at ravelry.com/projects/shyamanivas/

Have a great day and see you soon. 

Here are some of my other creations.