Monday, 11 July 2016

NICE ‘N LACY YOKE



NICE ‘N LACY YOKE

I was gifted one ball of this really lovely Traditional 5 Plus knitting cotton yarn. I’ve made other projects with it, and there’s only a little bit left.  I think it’s not sufficient for a top and may not even work for a yoke – so this is what I am going to do with it .J

I had all these plain t-shirts that were getting on my nerves, so I thought I’d D.I.Y-it a bit.  I found this really interesting small square motif, and I plan on linking a few of them up to get a neckline n shoulders.

As I work on this pattern, I’ve written down my notes that I share with you. https://in.pinterest.com/pin/470063279834921436/



Materials used : Today I’ve used the superbly soft Traditional 5 Plus knitting cotton yarn with a 3 mm crochet hook.
For Indians : You could use our Indian Anchor, Red rose or Shilpa knitting cotton.

Skill level : Intermediate to Advanced.

Abbreviations used :
fdc : Foundation double crochet                                dc : Double crochet
ch(s) : chain(s                                                                ch-sp : chain space
sp(s) : space(s)                                                              rep : Repeat
hk : hook                                                                        yo : Yarn over
sk : Skip                                                                           lp(s) : Loop(s)
st(s) : Stitch(es)


Stitches used :
fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/

Chainless dc start : Instead of the usual start with ch 2 or ch 3, I’d like to introduce this lovely new way of starting a dc row.  Do take a look at this self explanatory super video http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/
In case you are unhappy with this start, or do not like it, do continue with the usual ch-2 or ch-3 start.  However, all instructions will be given assuming that you are using the chainless dc start.

This is a straight simple pattern.  We work one side of the yoke at a time.  The pattern is the same for both front and back. The only difference (if you so desire) is the depth of the neckline.

Our first row is worked for half the round chest / bust measure.

Now you can be adventurous and make a top with this pattern, and if you are doing that, then the first row you will work is half the round waist measure (or half the round measure of the chest /bust, whichever is the larger round measure).

Excited ? Let’s start.

Our pattern repeat is 6 + 1.



Start : with fsc in multiples of 6 + 1 for the half the round chest / bust measurement.

Row 1 : sc in the 1st 2 fsc ; 
*ch 5, sk next 3 fsc ; sc in the next 3 fsc* ; 
rep *to* till the last 5 fsc ; ch 5, sk next 3 fsc , sc in the last 2 fsc.  Turn.

Row 2 : sc in the 1st sc ; 
*sk next sc ; 7 hdc in the next ch-5 sp ; sk next sc, sc in the next sc* ; 
rep *to* till the last 2 sc, sk next sc, sc in the last sc.  Turn.

Row 3 : trc in the 1st sc ; ch 2, sk next 2 hdc, sc in the next 3 hdc ; 
*ch 5, sk next 5 sts, sc in the next 3 hdc* ; 
rep *to* till the last 3 sts ; ch 2, sk next 2 hdc, trc in the last sc.  Turn.

Row 4 : hdc in the 1st trc ; 3 hdc in the next ch-2 sp ; sk next sc, sc in the next sc ; 
*sk next sc ; 7 hdc in the next ch-5 sp ; sk next sc, sc in the next sc* ; 
rep *to* till the last ch-2 sp, 3 hdc in the next ch-2 sp ; hdc in the last trc.  Turn.

Row 5 : sc in the 1st  hdc ; 
*ch 5, sk next 5 sts, sc in the next 3 hdc* ; 
rep *to* till the last 2 hdc ; ch 5, sk next 5 sts, sc in the last 2 hdc.  Turn.

Row 6 : sc in the 1st sc ; 
*sk next sc ; 7 hdc in the next ch-5 sp ; sk next sc, sc in the next sc* ; 
rep *to* till the last 2 sc, sk next sc, sc in the last sc.  Turn.

Rep Rows 3 – 6 till you reach the neckline section, (ending with either a Row 3 or Row 5)



We’re working a straight armhole and will not be decreasing for the armhole.

Now it really doesn’t matter which row you end at, as the pattern is basically the same.  So here’s what I’ve done. 

Neckline decrease ideas
Now it really doesn’t matter which row you end at, as the pattern is basically the same.  So here’s what I’ve done. 

I worked the pattern, till the 3rd pattern repeat on that last Row 3 or 5 working from the armhole to the neckline edge ; ending with ch 2, sk next 5 sts and trc in the next st. 

Next Row : (Neckline edge) sc in the 1st trc, sk next sc, sc in the next sc ; 7 hdc in the next ch-5 sp and continue till end.

Next Row : (Armhole edge) Work pattern from this edge all the way from armhole edge to neckline edge in pattern as before, till you reach the shoulder level.

Fasten off and weave in ends once you reach the shoulder level.

Re-attach yarn at the 3rd pattern repeat from the other end for the second shoulder and work the pattern all the way to the shoulder once again.

If you are working the back part of the yoke as well, then repeat all the instructions for the back part of the yoke too.

And can you believe how beautiful this yoke is !

You can give yourself a huge pat in the back, as though this is a really easy pattern, this one has been a real fun one – and you’ve figured it out too. So yaay !! J

Finishing :
Our finishing here involves attaching the shoulders and the sides as well, if needed.  Then you need to weave in and tidy up of all those loose ends. Ensure you glue it all down, as the worst thing is to have a little bit of thread peeping through where its not supposed to be and ruining all your hard work!

If you’re working a yoke, then attach the yoke to the t-shirt, and you could then cut away the t-shirt bits from inside of the yoke, so that you can show some skin and of course your lovely crochet work out too. J

And that’s done.. yet another project brilliantly executed ! J

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did..come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own project.  Thanks.


or join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Check out my pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/free-patterns-made-by-me/ for all the free patterns I’ve written up.

 Have a great day and see you soon. J

I have a few yokes already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go  J


















I have a few tops already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns , check out my Pinterest board here https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/vests-and-tops-made-by-me/  J