Friday, 10 March 2017

KITTY CAT EXTRAVAGANZA 5 - Paw Bookmark or Hanging ornament


free crochet paw pattern


KITTY CAT EXTRAVAGANZA – 5

Paw Bookmark or Hanging ornament


In this blog, I have made a whole load of kitty cat things.. i.e things all cat inspired.  I have used as many free patterns as I could find, and if I found a chart, then I’ve worked the chart and written my notes down.

I have a long list of things kitty cat that I plan on making, so I am very confidently putting this blog down as “5”, and check out my first few blogs on kitty cat extravaganza as well.
Thanks for joining me in our celebration of the naughty four-legged kitty cat.

Materials used : Today I’ve used our Indian Anchor knitting cotton yarn, with a 1.75 mm crochet hook.

Abbreviations used :  (Using U.S terminology)
fsc : Foundation single crochet                                 dc : Double crochet
ch : chain                                                                   ch-sp : chain space
sp : space                                                                    rep : Repeat
hdc : Half Double crochet                                sc-blo : Single Crochet Back Loop Only



Stitches used :

Magic circle : To refresh your skill, please view this easy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

fsc : Foundation Single Crochet : To refresh your skill on the fsc, please view this superb video by Tamara Kelly at the link  http://www.mooglyblog.com/foundation-single-crochet-fsc/



Instructions : (Using U.S terminology)

free crochet paw pattern


My friend showed me this photograph (below) and I was / am unable to find a chart or pattern for it, so here’s what I’ve done for this project.



Sarah of RepeatCraterMe has a Puppy Lovey blanket which has a paw pattern too at http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2012/08/puppy­dog­lovey­blanket­crochet­pattern.html , so check this out as well.



For this project, we’re going to use two colours.  
One (Main Colour MC) is light and the other (Contrast Colour CC) is darker.
We will start with the paw pad first.

Part 1 : Paw

free crochet paw pattern

Start : (with CC) : with a magic circle and 12 dc in that circle.  Join with a sl-st to the 1st dc.

Round 1 : (with CC) : 2 dc in the 1st dc and in each dc all around.  Join with a sl-st to the 1st dc.

Round 2 : (with MC) : 2 dc in the 1st dc ; *dc in the next dc ; 2 dc in the next dc* ; rep*to* all around.  Join with a sl-st to the 1st dc.

In the following row, we’re going to work on the three little paws.

Row 3 : (with MC) : sc in the 1st dc ; (hdc, dc, trc in the next dc ; 3 trc in the next dc ; trc, dc, hdc in the next dc ; sc in the next dc) ; [sc in the next dc ; rep (to) once] ; rep [to] once ; sl-st in the next dc.  Turn (3 toes made)

Row 4 : (with MC) : sc in the 1st 2 sts ; (dc in the next 2 sts ; 3 dc in the next st ; dc in the next 2 sts ; hdc in the next st ; sc in the next 2 sts ; sl-st in the next 2 sts) ; [sc in the next 2 sts ; rep (to) once] ; rep [to] once ;
Do not fasten but continue with pattern

Now we will start with the long tail for our book mark, which we will work halfway down the paw.  So place the paw down, and mark a stitch that you think is halfway down and where you would want the long tail.  Once you’ve marked it, you will ..
Continue working sl-st in each st all till the marked stitch.

At the marked stitch work a chain of 60 sts (or as long a tail you’d want for your bookmark).

Turn and work 3 dc in the 2nd ch from hk ; work 3 dc in the next 15 ch ; work a sl-st all the ch all the way back to the base of your paw and continue working sl-st all the way along the side of the paw till the 1st toe.  Fasten off and weave in ends.
The base of our paw is complete.

We will now add paw pads and an accent to the tail, using CC.



Part 2 : Paw Pad (Make 3)

Round 1 : (with CC) : Make a magic circle and work 10 sc in that circle.  Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

Round 2 : (with CC) : 2 sc in the 1st sc and in each sc all around.  Join with a sl-st to the 1st st.

Fasten off and leave a tail to attach to the paw base.


Part 3 : Tail accent

free crochet paw pattern

Re-attach your CC yarn to the end of the spiral, and work one sc in each dc all the way down the spiral.  When you reach the end, work a sl-st and fasten off.

free crochet paw pattern


Your cute little paw book mark is ready to use.  Cute ain’t it?

After I made this, I thought it would look lovely hanging from the front of the car – off the rear view mirror .. and we loved it instantly J

free crochet paw pattern

free crochet paw pattern

 Finally, this is a flat 2D creation.. You can instantly jazz this up as a 3D creation as well, with just a quick idea.  Make all the pieces as instructed, but make two paw base bits.. and after you have added on the paw pads and tail bit, attach the two paw bits together, & stuff just before you close it completely.  If you do not fill it too much, it will still make a lovely car hanging, and if really full up, it could make a cute toy for a kitty or doggie.

Please remember though that (as someone had pointed out to me when I shared my last creation) we are working with yarn and poly fill, and one must be very careful to ensure that you pick up after your pet – as they may pull out some of the filling or fray the yarn… and yarn ain’t a good animal food!

Do remember THIS is the blog that you read all this information .. so do share my BLOG URL or blog link. Thank you

Enjoyed this ?? I sure did.. come back right here for more freebie patterns

If you're visiting me here for the first time, and have liked the experience, do add me to your mailing list (for your convenience) , and all my future free patterns will come straight to your mail box.  

I’d appreciate if you could credit my blog (and link the original pattern link) when you make your own creation.  Thanks.

Check out my awesome pins on Pinterest at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/  OR just my free patterns at https://in.pinterest.com/shyamanivas/free-patterns-made-by-me/


And please join me on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Nothings-Crochet/248919438644360  for more patterns.

Have a great day and see you soon. J

I have a few other similar projects already made, and just in case you want a dekho at those free patterns … here you go  J